Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What's your take on this?

Our village preschool is run by the nursery and, during school holidays, becomes holiday club for primary aged children too.

One mother has queried the suitability of the activities for her 3 year old son as they are pretty much all aimed at keeping the older children entertained.

Their response was to tell her that the preschool isn't running through the holidays so her son is accessing care, not education at those times and they don't have any responsibility to offer age appropriate activities or interact with him on those days. Their role is simply supervision.

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

To my knowledge, this approach is not taken with the younger children who are cared for on another site on full time contracts rather than term-time only.

Completely agree with Louby loo. If you are caring for children (and being paid) you should be providing for them appropriately. Let's face it, it's not hard to provide some activities and resources for that age group and in my experience the older children would probably get involved as well. I think that this really should be questioned and looked into further. Sounds like laziness to me!

Wow, I'm shocked by that! We run in a similar way - we are full daycare and run a holiday club in our Pre-school Room during school holidays. We provide activities for 3 - 9 (ish) year olds and try to do things that everyone enjoys such as cooking, messy play, lots of art and craft and outdoor play. This means children can enjoy this at their own 'level' and everyone can join in. We have lots of continuous provision that everyone can use too, such as Lego, blocks, sand and water etc. etc. The majority of older children actually enjoy some nursery activities with none of the pressures of school - they have a bit of a regression and love it! We still run in the normal way for younger children - key person, obs etc but our planning is more activity and fun-based rather than EYFS and learning outcomes.

I agree - if they are paying for their child to attend, they should be getting a good service and their child should be happy and cared for.

• Like 1

it doesn't matter to me whether parents are paying, or if staff are being paid, or are voluntary...............you set it up and accept children in, then you provide activities to suit all ages. What a horrid approach!

• Like 3

Thank you for your replies. I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking this is rather off.

Would anyone expect to account to Ofsted in terms of recording progress, planning next steps, etc? I know Stargrower has mentioned still doing it but would Ofsted expect that?

Yes, we were inspected during June half term and Ofsted looked at what we were doing on that day as well as in general (although they didn't look at planning at all but focused quite a lot on progress so you would need to show how you helped children made that progress). I think with the introduction of 30 hours and more parents stretching their funding over the year, this will become more and more important for those of us open all year.

Edited by Stargrower

I think the direction about learning and development requirements is more about reception age children attending afterschool care. I think if you have preschool aged children you do have show that you are following EYFS requirements. Even if it is holiday care it is still care and is the same as any daycare facility would have to follow.

• 2 months later...

Early years carers have a legal obligation under the early years foundation stage to meet the needs of early years children...whatever setting they attend.

...the 7 learning areas are enshrined in the care part of the EYFS.

...I agree they need to be following the EYFS if they accept children aged 5 and under they need to be planning activities suitable for them to do.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)