Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tapestry and the 30 Hours

Hi All

I have asked before about a child attending two settings, both settings having Tapestry - the child can't go on two seperate accounts and these journals never meet, we have tried the children being on the school nursery Tapestry and our nursery being a relative but it doesn't work so now the 30 hours is due we have seen a lot of parents splitting care between two or three settings.

I have been discussing with staff how it is 15 hours educational and 15 hours childcare for working parents (this is how the government have described it) but if there is a school nursery and a private nursery - who is offering which part as both comply with EYFS so technically the same?

Our school nursery believe they are education so they load the child on Tapestry, then we pick up the 15 hours (if not more) childcare side and add observations where?

Has Tapestry created any link for journals with all these changes due. We have operated nursery and wraparound for years but finding it difficult when there is multiple settings for one child and a journal at each setting, yes it shows what the child does in each setting but it could all be mapped and tracked different, one setting could be getting in multi-agency teams and it will be those children who slip through the net as there is no link of information except the staff contacting each other which we all do but if all settings could see one learning journal they would all be working towards the same goal. (which yes they are but I hope you see what I mean). I have got one parent who has two tapestry accounts at two settings and she had to create two email addresses as it stated - already in use so not sure if that is another issue.

OFSTED state where the child attends more hours should be the 'main' carer but when you work with school settings that is not always the case. I will be asking this at the big OFSTED conversation and gaining an answer about the 30 hours and about when they inspect our setting are they expecting us to be the 15 hours educator or childcare. Sorry for the long questions.

Thanks

Hello,
The 15 hours care +15 hours education split has been removed now, you are correct that it was there in the original draft, it is not in the detail now. All of the 30 hours are education and care.

You can share a Tapestry journal for a child in one of 2 ways:

One way is that one of you is added as a relative onto the respective Tapestry account and so can make observations on the child. However you won't be able to assess them or view snapshots and analysis concerning assessments made for the child. As such you'd be able to view observations but not assessment data.

The other way is for you to be added as a member of staff to the other account. To do this without creating any safeguarding issues you would need consider whether the setting A only allows staff to see their key children. If so, then they just need to add the member of staff (from the setting B ) and attach the child as a key child. If the setting A allows staff to see all children though, or children other than their key children, they can proceed as follows:

(1) All children that a staff member in the first setting might want to observe are set as key children, this could possibly be all children.
(2) They then set all staff to be able to see only their key children.
(3) Then they can set up manual groups for key children, called 'X's' key children, then they will be able to use the groups filter to look at different things for analysis purposes.

The member of staff for the setting B can then be added as a staff member and assigned the shared child as a key child.and have the child as a key child. The account may then be set that so you only see key children and as a result you'd only see your key child and not the other children on the account. You will then be able to observe and assess the child, but you won't be able to see the child's data compared to any other children. You'd also need to manually compare the child's data to the children's data at your setting.

Furthermore, if the child is in group photos the second setting key person will see the other children in the photos. You would need to think about whether this is a problem and if you can get permission for this or a way to work around it.

With the options above of more directly sharing a child via Tapestry (through being added as a staff member or relative) there are pros and cons both ways.

Hope that helps

Thank you very much. I discussed option 2 with 6 settings who would need to do this for children accessing mulitple settings and it is a total no from all settings.

We have tried previously to be added as a relative and that also does not work, not sure if anyone else has done this and it has worked, if so let me know.

It is a real shame a children will access 2 or 3 settings yet no link in learning journals.

We have tried previously to be added as a relative and that also does not work, not sure if anyone else has done this and it has worked, if so let me know.

it would be interesting to know why you feel this doesn't work? I would think this is the easiest option...what did you do before tapestry??

I always feel with linked settings that one should be the lead as it can be very confusing to have 2 sets of info ...it can give a very strange journal for the child unless the moderation is spot on.

it would be interesting to know why you feel this doesn't work? I would think this is the easiest option...what did you do before tapestry??

I always feel with linked settings that one should be the lead as it can be very confusing to have 2 sets of info ...it can give a very strange journal for the child unless the moderation is spot on.

The school tried to add our staff on to Tapestry, they had to go on as parents so can only add photo, observation so mapping and tracking would have to be paper based. We then found we had issues with email addresses as it kept saying already in use which it was.

I totally agree about one setting taking the lead but this is something staff often discuss, who should be the lead setting - a school nursery who have to put all children on Tapestry where children do 15 hours or a setting (ours) where a child attends 20-30 hours a week as they may well do 7.30am start to 6pm finish.

It is all questions that we trial ideas with and see how we get on.