Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratio query

Hi,

We are a small committee-run pre-school in a village with 2 staff members (myself - QTS and my deputy - L3). We take children from 2yrs+. Ratio-wise, we use me for the 3/4yr olds (13chn) and my deputy for the 2yr olds (4chn).

My Chairperson seems to recall reading somewhere that a child can be counted in a 3-4yr ratio group in the term that they are turning 3. So the July birthday children would count as 3 yr olds from May half term (working on a 6 term year)....I have done extensive reading to try and find this referenced somewhere and have had no joy...Is it a 'thing' or has she just gone mad after reading and reviewing the thousands of policies that I've just updated?

Any pointing in the right direction/links would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Rachel

Oh goodness, I couldn't imagine looking after 13 3 year olds even with a deputy! speechless-smiley-040.gif

but if you put those together that's only 17 children between 2 if they were all 3 you could have 16 anyway!!!

sorry harbypreschool 2 year olds are 2 until they turn 3!!

• Like 1

This was the case for schools, in the past that two year olds in the term of their 3rd birthday, known as rising threes, were treated as if they were 3, and were also exempt from registering 2 year provision at that time. This led to some confusion over registration and ratio at a time when Schools were just dipping their toes into the world of two year olds.

FAst forward though, and due to issues over clarity, and the expansion of 2 year provision in schools and the fact they no longer have to have separate registration, this was removed so I don't believe there is now any documentation which makes reference to rising threes in schools.

Someone has probably recalled 'something' and thinks it still applies although it was only ever used in schools because of their registration at that time.

• Like 5

but if you put those together that's only 17 children between 2 if they were all 3 you could have 16 anyway!!!

sorry harbypreschool 2 year olds are 2 until they turn 3!!

Ha Ha yes, you are right.....did I give the impression I'd had a bit of a day! ;)

• Like 1

Oh goodness, I couldn't imagine looking after 13 3 year olds even with a deputy! speechless-smiley-040.gif

I had 39 nursery children with 3 adults - me and two level 3s. I thought I was lucky.

This was before I knew about the higher ratios enjoyed by ther providers!!!

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)