Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Administration of medication

hunnybunch

Hi

I currently have a child in my setting that has an inhaler for Asthma. We have all the medication and parental permission forms in line with requirements. Up until recently the child has not needed the inhaler during his time at our setting. The parent has now told us that the doctor has said that the child needs the ventolin inhaler every day at 11 am. My concern is that ventolin is a releiver inhaler not a preventative therefore i should only be administering it when the child is wheezy etc. Has anyone had this problem before and would i be justified in asking to gain written details from the doctor for us.

Would i be permitted to add a clause to my administrations of medicines policy that requests doctors permision for medications that have to be administered by staff on a regular basis?

Thank you

Normally medication that has to be administered on a regular basis has it stated on the printed label. If the parent is saying the requirement has changed, could you ask for a letter from the doctor/nurse or a new presciption with new label?

• Like 1

We have a child that suffers with asthma and has a ventolin inhaler - we have an asthma plan for her which tells us about her condition, when we should give inhaler and also states that during bad times she may have to have it on a regular basis ie. certain time everyday. The plan is written up by the parents, asthma nurse/doctor. Perhaps ask parents if they have an asthma plan for the child?

I agree with lsp, I would be following the instructions on the prescription labels. If that goes against what parents are saying to can refer them to Stat. Framework 3.45/3.46 it is a prescription medicine and so should be given as prescribed

We have this often and just let parent know we need to confirm this and will phone DR. The call is documented and is evidence that the request is correct, we have had a number of children who require it at certain times in day when it's bad or as an initial course before going to as needed.

we had this last year with a mum who said her child had to have the inhaler at a certain time of the day - I asked her why and she said it was what the doctor had told her -I reminded her that it was a reliever so should be used when needed to relieve symptoms of an attack and we had already agreed a plan of when the inhaler would be used/needed .I said that if the doctor wanted this done at a certain time then she would need to get a letter form him stating this-she did get a bit "huffy" and went off moaning but never returned with a letter. When she collected the inhaler I asked what had happened re the letter she said "oh he changed his mind" -I assured her that the inhaler would be given to her child if and when needed as per our agreed plan.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)