Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent wants copies of accident forms

Toots

Hi all

I have a parent who's recently been given PR and he's been in today to look at his child's accident forms. We had a conversation and I showed him records, then he demanded copies for his records/ investigation!

In all my years I've never had a parent ask for copies. Am I obliged to give them? I don't have a problem with doing so but need to know if I should be.

Thanks.

P.S I'm waiting with baited breath for your replies as he's expecting the email this evening.

I'm not sure why he would want them - but I wouldn't have a problem giving him copies, they are about his child and presumably they demonstrate that appropriate and proportionate first aid was given. Why are you worried? Do you think he wants to make a case that you have been negligent in some way?

Statutory framework says parents must be informed about accidents - it doesn't specify that parents should have copies of accident forms. In the information sharing about children it says that providers must share ....

I wouldn't have a problem giving copies I don't think.

I'm not sure why he would want them - but I wouldn't have a problem giving him copies, they are about his child and presumably they demonstrate that appropriate and proportionate first aid was given. Why are you worried? Do you think he wants to make a case that you have been negligent in some way?

I'm not worried about him having them, as all incidents were legitimate and dealt with appropriately. A I'd never been asked for copies before I just wanted to make sure it was ok.

He may be wanting to make a case but I'm confident that we're not negligent in any way.

If he wants them I would give them to him - we always give our parents a copy of forms where there has been a head accident together with head note - this means if anything develops from this then parent has information for anyone who needs it.

If the child has couple of little accidents on the same day then can you put on the same form?

Maybe just check that accidents arent repeats of previous ones - ensuring you have risk assessed/change anything where needed.

He is probably a bit over protective - we always found that no matter what some children were ALWAYS in the accident book whereas others hardly at all

• Like 1

Is he making a case against mum? Our accident forms have a carbon copy so the parent who picks up is always given a copy after they have signed it. Never been asked for a copy after the event or by the other parent. Interesting. But I think I would give copies although I might ask for a request in writing.

Edited by lsp
  • Like 2

We have it in policies copies can be given under certain time frame we must respond and supply, written request must be received and all parties in this case by sounds of it both parents informed. I think off my head we can request an admin charge too. I haven't got this policy imprinted on my brain but it's something like that. You have a right to make a request and receive copies of all information that is held on yourself or your child regardless of what organisation it is, copies must be given if requested but sensitive data eliminated first which is one reason why a timeframe is given to allow this to happen.

• Like 1

Yes we always give carbon copy for all accidents that we record.

How is your relationship with parent? Why did he not have PR?

I cannot understand why anyone would want copies of accidents that have been in the past. I presume the accidents have been little fall overs - nothing as serious as broken bone type so cannot understand why parent wants them.

I think you should ask. Because it might help you to understand how you can support the parent with their future role with PR and maybe they need to realise what is acceptable to ask for and not. I would think it would be fair to say to parent that this is an unusual request is there a reason they would like to see the records? and take ti from there.

I guess at the end of the day if they make the request you cannot refuse it.

Good Luck

if not given at the time to the parent in charge of the child then i would class this as a request under the freedom of information act. You can then follow your procedures which would give you time to work out whats going on.If in doubt ring your legal advisor before handing them out.

We always give a carbon copy of all accidents, which parents have to sign and I would regard his request as unusual perhaps,but I would give them to him. Obviously they would have to be photocopies and I wouldn't charge for that. I WOULD ask why he wants them, but if he refused to tell me that wouldn't affect my passing them on. Given that we have to keep records of accidents for such a long time anyway ( In case the child wishes to sue when they are older), I really don't think it would be reasonable to withhold the information from him

If PR has just been granted I agree with Isp' this may be parents way of checking up on other parent if they don't live together - that is if they have also requested Accident at Home Forms?

May have nothing to do with the setting.......

• Like 2

I once had to give copies to Mum with PR to pass on to solicitor as Dad had queried injuries on child and had inferred that bumps and bruises had been caused by Mum. I was quite happy to provide copies as evidence. I hasten to add that they were very minor injuries like " fell over on path, scrape to knee". Nothing more was said after that. Maybe your parent wanted a fuller picture of child's life at school.

We always offer copies of accident forms and record whether a copy was given or not. I have given historic copies for the reasons above - questions regarding other parents' care.

Parents have a right to all documentation held on their child.

I would try and find out 'why' in case it is a query about in case it is anything to do with you and can be anything you can discuss rather than just read about in cold black and white.

Hope everything's ok.

J

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)