Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jolly Phonics V Oxford Reading Tree

Guest tinkerbell

Guest tinkerbell

Can you help Ive recently tuned in to a web debate about not mixing the two as the approaches are so different.I work in a school where the ORT is the main reading scheme I am just able to buy some jolly phonics books and do teach the leter sound using jolly phonics.What do you think?

Tinkerbell

I am in the same situation. I have heard that if we are using Jolly Phonics (Reception), it is not appropriate to use the ORT until Stage 5 when it seems to become more decodable.

I started JP last year in January. It went well, although my childrne needed a slower pace. I only used the Phonics and Patterned Stories of the ORT and not the truck series... well, only the "First Words" ones but when they had the character's names... not books like "The Pancake", which is pure guessing.

We use JP too. Our reading books come from a wide selection of schemes and are based on the Cliff Moon book bands. We use a lot of ORT, Ginn and sunshine spirals amongst others. 30% of our children achieved a level 3 in reading at KS1 SATs last year, so it works OK for us :D

I think books like The Pancake are perfectly legitimate for the children to read because although they may not be able to decode the words they are able to use initial sounds and picture clues to help them and these are both skills they need too. Having said that I am also a fan of phonic schemes :D

I use Jolly Phonics in my classs alongside Ginn Oxford reading Tree Rigby etc. I feel there is a valid arguement for providing children with a range of skills and experiences to promote reading. Not all children are able to use phonics. My own son never really developed any phonic skills in primary school due to his particular learning difficulties, but was an excellent reader. When tested by the Ed Psych he had a reading age almost 5 years above his chronological age ( at 8 his favourite independent reading was a NATO defence document )

Guest tinkerbell

Thanks for your replies

Have just been on the Jelly and Bean site does anyone use these books and what do you think?

Tinkerbell

We also teach Jolly Phonics. We used ORT, Story worlds(which are lovely) and at Easter we got the Jelly and Bean books. They were really good for our weaker readers at that time of year. I did find they moved on very rapidly and soon became too difficult for them but they did help the children secure their cvc knowledge and decoding skills. I'm not sure if there were other books in the series that moved a slower pace.

WOW :o Marion!

How did he do it? I am interested in this since I also believe that each child has his/her individual needs and maybe a particular method might not suit him/her... so I am open to hear about your own experiences. Thanks in advance :) !

Many children are good at remembering words, each child has the capacity to remember a number of words, then they need phonic skills to build on this number. For some they don't know many, but others can remember loads. Apparently many children with Downs Syndrome are good at remembering words, this is true for a child in my class who can no read initial sounds etc but can find the name cards for 4 of the 8 children in my class.

We also use Jolly Phonics with our main redaing scheme being ORT and find that it works well. we also use a range of other books based upon Cliff Moon, we achieve well in KS1 sats which proves that we must be doing something right. :o

This topic interests me. Language and literacy development fascinates me. I see it as a key (magic key, lol) to lifelong learning.

Gosh .... I'm not reception or KS1 (just pre-school FS), but I have opinions (parent-type opinions).

Do you want these sorts of opinions?

Diane

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)