Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chrismas Concert For 3-4 Year Olds

Hello

I am attempting to do a Christmas Concert with my nursery class this year. Don't really know if it is a good idea or not yet? But i was just wondering if anyone had any simple christmas concert ideas i could attempt, and any tips or advise.

Thank you forany help

Snowy. :D

Hello Snowy,

Last year we kept it all very simple. We sang 4 songs, Jingle Bells, When Santa got stuck up the chimney, Twinkle Twinkle little star and Christmas Pudding.

The children had all made hats depending on each song, some children had santa hats, some had Christmas puddings etc.

The children were fantastic at learning the songs and were often heard singing them as they were playing. As soon as their parents came to watch them sing they all (except 2 of them) sat with their mouths firmly shut and left it up to me and my STA to sing alng!!

My advice is to choose songs you are comfortable with as you are likely to be singing them without the children!!

We had a great time though, and are going to do something similar this year.

Have fun. x

Hi Snowy

We keep our Christmas production very simple (pre-school with ages 3 and 4), singing about 10 songs at most. We don't always dress the children up in costumes, it depends on how confident they are. This year we probably will as the older children we have seem to be fairly outgoing. We will have to wait and see nearer the time.

A concert is well worth doing-but as stuk has said be prepared to be the only one singing! They do tend to get overwhelmed by the sea of faces at this age! :):)

Linda

We do a Nativity. It's very simple, everyone has a part, we have shepherds, kings, pages, stars, innkeepers, sheep, etc. depending on intake.

All the children enter the Hall on their own and walk up the aisle between seats to the stage, thus giving parents, grandparents an excellent opportunity to photograph/video their own child. I do the narration, but we encourage children to ad lib into the mike if they want to.

The play we use has some lovely songs which are very easy to la-la-la to, and we always get really good audience participation. We also have older children from the school choir to support our singers (which is brilliant as otherwise it can be the 'Barb sings Christmas show' -not good for anyone as I sound like a strangled frog when I sing)

Can't remember name of wonderful play, will look after half term if you want me to.

Barb

Out of the ark music have some really simple plays with backing tracks

a lovely one is ' Humph the camel' by Nikki Davies about an awkward camel who eventually gets a special job by taking a wise man to see baby jesus.

www.outoftheark.com

Thank you everyone, i think i will attempt to do a simple concert it sounds like it will be quite a laugh, i'll just have to practice my singing voice!!

Snowy

x

:o

Hi

I have just found a really good site if you have a bit of money spare its called learn2soar.co.uk. They have pre made concerts/assemblies with everything you need. I have just bought C is for christmas nativity for my foundation stage unit.

Christmas Plays

Well they are always entertaining - who knows what will happen - but we still plan one every year - and it always turns out ok - one way or another!! Anything that the children do will be viewed as lovely - we, the staff, have lots of fun creating interesting stages - so at least if the children don't perform on cue - then the parents at least have something to look at and the teamwork by the staff is very rewarding and motivating. Like Michaelle, we use Out of the Ark Music - this years play "The Innkeepers Breakfast" so we are planning next half term around healthy eating, nutrition etc to tie in with this. Have some very young children in this year and we always worry but hey let's remember they are only 3/4 and would we like to sing in front of our parents - probably not - but a lot of them seem of excel on the day and it is always very unpredictable but also very rewarding too and a good way to end the term.

Nikki

last year we chose a christmas story and sang a song to do with the story at appropriate times....the children enjoyed listening to the story and performed well.

to get over the children not singing we always sing a favourite noisy song to the parents which the children choose before starting. This oftren has no relation what soever to the story or christmas but breaks the ice and thye seem to flow well after that.....

(Having said that this year the children are not singing at all during sessions, but look at us blankly and no matter what we sing including thier choice they do not join in....no actions...no sound .....help)

Inge

Hi Snowy,

Well, I see you've had plenty of input! We like to concentrate on a Nativity type thing, usually a sort of 'tableau', with adult narrators, but if the children are confident, they have simple lines. I tend to go for stories that have gone down well with the children - last year we did one called 'The Donkey's First Christmas'. This year we're doing 'The Christmas Play', a rhyming story. If you want I can get the authors for you, but they're at Nursery and I'm not in until Tuesday. We try to include all the children, unless parents or child don't want to be involved, for whatever reason, and they dress up approriately - we ask the parents to help here, usually they manage to oblige.

Sue :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)