Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

EYFS and KS 1 progress

Hi

I was wondering what everybody else is using as a measure for good progress across KS 1.

We have now been told that children leaving FS at expected are therefore entering YR 1 as 1c and then to make good progress need to make 10 points across the KS which means at the end of year 2 they need to be 2a.

J

Hi there

I'd be interested to know where the 'expected at end of EYFS = 1c at beginning of Y1' comes from. Is this something your LA has told you?

The Ofsted Subsidiary Guidance document published in Sept has this to say about progress in KS1:

Progress measures from the end of reception (Early Learning Goals) to Key Stage 1

1. The early learning goals do not translate precisely to National Curriculum levels. However, as a broad rule of thumb children who reach a good level of development at the end of the Reception Year ought to be reaching at least Level 2b by end of Key Stage 1. Children exceeding the early learning goals at the end of reception ought to be exceeding Level 2b at the end of Key Stage 1 and be reaching Level 2a as a minimum, and more likely Level 3.

In terms of where children should be at the end of KS1 who were at the expected level at the end of YR, it says more or less what you've been told, though I haven't seen anything written down in any official document which says that 'expected' at the end of EYFS is equivalent to 1c at the beginning of KS1. Is this something your LA have passed on to your school? Sounds like someone somewhere has tracked back from 2a etc and worked out the number of points progress that will be needed, then from there made the link between GLD and 1c. I could be wrong though.

I would have thought children leaving at expected would be 1c at least when assessed at oct half term which is when we input data onto our tracker.

That sounds like appropriate progress across ks1 now that the bar has shifted up yes. I'm not definite without checking with my ks leader tho.

Lucie

I suppose the issue comes with trying to create a formula for translating ELGs into NC levels. But the logical argument is that the government have not changed the long held expectation that the "average child" will be a 2B at the end of KS1. It is not wildly unrealistic to suggest that "Expected" is to relate to most average children (with emerging for those below average and exceeding for those above average) Taking this logic onboard it makes sense that the children who are expected at the end of EYFS should reach 2b with anything beyond that good progress. Similarly children who reach 2b or above but were in emerging in the ELG have made better than expected progress. Of course the exceeding children need to be hitting those level 3's.

I would suggest that teacher assessment at end of autumn term in Year 1 would be a much better point to kick in with your sub level per term if that's how you want to measure it but as we all know progress doesn't happen in a nice straight line and while we need to be aware of children's current level and provide interventions where necessary it is the progress across the key stage that is more interesting not whether in any given term the progress appeared to drop \ accelerate.

Just my (non KS1) opinion!

Mel

x

Hi

I wouldn't mind if my expected children were targeted for 2B but children who leave FS at expected in order to make good progress need to be a 2A if not they have not made good progress therefore that puts the school in requires improvement! So all children who got expected are targeted for 2a at the end of KS1.

J

Hi

I wouldn't mind if my expected children were targeted for 2B but children who leave FS at expected in order to make good progress need to be a 2A if not they have not made good progress therefore that puts the school in requires improvement! So all children who got expected are targeted for 2a at the end of KS1.

J

I am not saying that you are not correct (as I mentioned above I am not in KS1) but can those who have told you that you will require improvement if your expected children get 2B make a reasonable argument as to why the rules of logic do not apply?! Surely saying that "average children will get expected across the board those same average children at the end of key stage one should have the average attainment level of 2B - so surely that demonstrates the expected progress?" Anything above that is a bonus and good progress!

It just makes no sense whatsoever to say that a child who is at expected levels at the end of EYFS should be considered not to have made enough progress if they are still at expected levels at the end of KS1 - of course we all want children to do as well as possible but to say that meeting national expectations means you are not doing a good enough job is ludicrous, especially when you factor in that much of the autumn term is very difficult for a lot of year 1 children as the transition from EYFS to Yr 1, however carefully managed, is still a difficult one.

Good luck with it all, I fear it would drive me bonkers trying to defy the logic at every twist and turn!

Mel

x

Edited by Melcatfish

It's because the expected is not good enough, satisfactory is not good enough, so we have to aim for good progress, so therefore good progress becomes expected progress. It's ludicrous. My ks leader was up in arms about this at the end of last year.

This always confuses me. I know that expected progress is not good enough any more and looks bad for KS1. However, if your children are coming into Reception as broadly average then expected progress would surely be to leave as expected, which is not good enough progress. If they leave as emerging then that is not good enough progress either. We daren't have too many leave as exceeding as this would be too high for end of KS1, even though it would be good progress for Reception. I've asked a few advisors for clarification but they all seem to say different things and I'm told that the use of the term 'ought to' in the Ofsted subsidiary guidance is open to interpretation.

I'd really like to get this right if anyone can help.

Hi

Thought as this had generated a bit of interest I would post my latest find, OFSTED state

'expected’ does not mean ‘requires improvement’. An average point score increase of 12-13, particularly if no pupil groups make significantly less progress than that, could still be part of an overall judgement on achievement of ‘good'

This refers to KS 2 obviously but I am thinking the same should apply to KS 1.

In the end I have split my expected into low and high and transferred them onto aps points so the low expected will be targeted for a 2b and the high 2a which means they will have made 10 points progress.

We'll see what the powers who be have to say!

J

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)