Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Development Matters has disappeared?

Helen

How long until I can retire? Oh no, of course, silly me - the government changed the Goalposts - would have been two years time - but no - I have to put in at least another eight now :o:(

I'm being naughty - have no wish to retire at all really :1b

• Like 1

Guest sn0wdr0p

This is ridiculous, how on earth can they change their minds within a year. Where is all the evidence coming from which says things need to change again. How many other sectors have to jump through hoops like we do?

If I was like my son who turned thirteen yesterday and is a real Kevin (and to top it has ADHD) I would be yelling about it now and ripping doors off their hinges and sweeping everything off their shelves. Fortunately I am a little calmer than that but just as frustrated.

I cant quite envisage what sort of learning environment they want. It seems they want to remove fun from all aspects of learning and to be honest, even at my ripe old age of 48, I cant ever remember classes being like that.

I remember my classrooms as busy places with toys, playing and outdoor lessons, posters and art work on the walls, music and drama, singing, cooking, acting out stories. The vision I get when Gove and Truss speak goes back even further than I can remember to bare walls, slates and dunces hats.

• Like 1

I keep on suggesting that, as it is non-statutory, my nursery should withdraw its cooperation for the Revised EYFS and go back to using the old one. Personally, I think it is our duty to protect the children from this ludicrous state of affairs and go back to the less flawed and more workable previous EYFS!

This is just plain dictatorship behaviour...well it's non statutory and we can use what we like to teach EYFS children. So carry on carrying on I say.

Cx

• Like 1

Why stop there - bring back the simplicity of the desirable learning outcomes and be done with it!!

As long as the statutory curriculum is defined within the Learning and Development requirements in the way it is, you can deliver it and get to the ELGs (also statutory) in any way you like.

Cx

My one true dream if I won the lottery would be to buy the playgroup, refuse all funding from every and any government department and play, simply play. Close your eyes and share in my utopian vision :D

• Like 14

My one true dream if I won the lottery would be to buy the playgroup, refuse all funding from every and any government department and play, simply play. Close your eyes and share in my utopian vision :D

Just imagine.....My idea of heaven!.... :1b

The Richard House article in Nursery World ("We are under assault" - 28th June 2013) makes a thoroughly interesting read. Very pertinent!! :ph34r:

(Available at: http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1188268/assault?DCMP=EMC-CONNurseryWorldUpdate&bulletin=nursery-world-update-bulletin )

Take a look.

• Like 2

If there is another big change coming I think I might have a staff mutiny on my hands. We've just got used to the Revised EYFS, and the implications are huge...

So who's up for spending the summer hols in a major re-write of 'everything' just like we did last year? :o

I'm not playing - this summer is going to be my summer - she says stamping her foot! xD

• Like 4

I'll stamp along with you Sunnyday, and I will probably pout and fold my arms crossly too. Talking of a major re-write, think of Tapestry! :o

Let's hope we're worrying over nothing...but I feel uneasy. :(

• Like 2

its like something from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Gove is baron Bomburst, Truss is baroness Bomburst and introducing the child catcher, previously head of Ofsted.

• Like 3

Guest sn0wdr0p

But seriously, who does? and if they do remove them and change once again who is going to reimburse me for all the DM books I bought from Early Education and for all the staff training time spent less than a year ago?

Michael Rosen has just asked that question in the guardian, letter from a concerned parent. I've put a link in another thread ;)

Edited by Rea

I'm going to keep calm on this one - the statutory framework IS on the DFE website and there is signposting to the Foundation Years Website for the non-statutory guidance e.g, Development Matters. Perhaps the DFE is trying to get people to actually use the Foundation Years Website - I know I hardly ever look at it and as for using its forum - I know which one I prefer xD

Having said that I was at a meeting a couple of months ago where there was a whisper of a 2014 change !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r::ph34r:

Well I've been through at least 3 versions of the national curriculum (anyone remember ALL THOSE FOLDERS???), the primary strategies (3 part lessons, literacy hour, numeracy sessions etc etc) all the EYFS incarnations (DLOs to present, at least 4, including the minor revisions to ELGs along the way I think), all the EYFSPs DLOs,2004,2008,20012, AQA,QCDA,QCA and STA...it all comes and goes and we all get on with it.

http://www.educationengland.org.uk/history/timeline.html

To be honest I'm more concerned that I might not have a job come Christmas, whilst MPs award themselves huge payrises, let alone an EYFS non statutory document!

Cx

about to simplify LJ's, so before i invent the wheel (with a tyre that could be about to burst) can anyone remember if any DM sheets were added last year (was it only last year) that had age bands for each area on 1 A4 (ie 7 sheets), been searching but not coming up with anything, only really need from 16-26m if anyone has any....thanks :)

so glad I am not alone in my despair with interference in our business from every angle. Constant changes are not good for anyone....least of all the children!

• Like 2

I just wonder what would happen if any other sector had to face and implement all the changes that we do? I mean you don't have time to let one thing settle before the goal post is moved no where else I can see had this kind of change nor would they put up with it or think it a good idea.

I am definitely going with non compliance and actually if that means that I am never an outstanding setting according to Ofsted so be it. I don't want to work within a sector that I don't believe in, if we don't stand up for our children who will!!!!

There feel better now lol

• Like 6

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)