Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Floor Space Per Pupil

Hi,

Am new to nursery and have a question about how 'they' work the floor space out per pupil. Do the measurements include toilets, disabled toilet, kitchen and corridoor floor area? Just wondered as my working nursery space is the same as another local nursery yet they have a max of 14 children and my max is 20.

I have a corridoor and separate toilets/kitchen within the room but none of this can be used by the children as equipment in the entrance corridoor (which is quite long) would pose a health and safety issue. The other nursery use the school toilets outside their room and have no kitchen room.

Thanks,

Helen

Hi,

Long time since I registered, but I thought "they" worked it out by "clear" floor space per child.

The space per child changes depending on age, so this may be why the other nursery is different :o

I would ask "they" for their rationalle, as we all know "they" often have their own individual ( or local) interpretations of the standards requirements.

Peggy

Like Peggy would need to go back and check - I think the National Standards give the per foot per child. I do know that this is as Peggy says "clear floor/free space" so if you have tables etc these are excluded from the equation. Think my standards are at work so can't check but we have loads of space so its not an issue. I am surpised however how many groups operate in what I would call very tight spaces and appear to be slightly overcrowded. How you begin to measure the square footage and calculate it all is probably more than I could do.

Nikki

Thanks for your replies :)

I should have said we are both school nurseries Peggy and have the same age children - I am going to be having a good look into this when I get in there.

Helen

What I have been told in the past is that the space is worked out on 'available play space'

So, if you have fixed shelves, storage, sinks etc in the main room, these have to be taken out of the equation. However, if you have tables, chairs, storage trays on wheels, room dividers etc, these can be included as the theory behind it is that they can be moved to allow the children space to move and play.

Can't help on the toilets/corridor issue but I would have thought that these would not be counted as 'play' space.

As others have suggested... contact Ofsted directly or your local Development Officer, who should be able to come out and measure the space

Interesting that it's slightly different for Scotland Carol. Here it is

Under 2's 3.7 sq m's

2 - 3's 2.8 sq m's

3 and over 2.3 sq m's

Obviously our younger children require more space that those in England. :o As far as I'm aware it's 'usable' space so I guess in theory that could include the corridor even if it isn't terribly practical. :D

Hi Beau

I was surprised that the space per child is different in Scotland & England, thats a question I will add to my list for when we get our next Ofsted.

Our outdoor area an dwalk way also was used in our space calculation.

In the standards it also states that there should be a minimum of 1 toilet and 1 hand was basin for every 10 children over the age of 2 years.

Carol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)