Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Training New Reception Class

Hi there,

can you help me ? I have a wonderful and lively class of four and five year olds who have incredible energy and vocal chords. I am looking for fun ways to encourage them to line up and walk in a line without overtaking each other. I am also interested to know of any tips to help them understand how to sit in rows during assembly. When I get the first row into position they have made gaps for the next row to join them. AHHH a little stressful and I'm aware the language I use should have some logic in their ears. I don't want them to start holding a skipping rope as some tend to start and stop to watch the reaction of others holding on !

With such dynamic personalities, getting them to sit in pairs seems restrictive but the only way I can manage levels of attention and encouraging them to put their hand up and wait to answer questions.

Its the ususal dilemas of 30 children starting school together at the beginning of September but I still wonder if I could be doing more. Thank you for any advice, it is much appreciated :)

Dori x

Last year we did 'Busy Busy Bethlehem' as our nativity. One of the songs has the little solider counting as the cast line up.

'line up line up, form an queue, 1,2,3,4, you and you. The little soldier's here to supervise.. so come on lets get organised'

Whenever we sing this song now, the children join in and quickly form a line!

AAH, 30 Reception - lovely little people, all forced into these unnatural routines! But we persevere!

I adapt the song from the Peter Pan film - we're 'following the leader' song.

Mine goes like this:

one behind the other, the other, the other,

one behind the other

and now we're in a line!

After 2 weeks of this we are (almost) perfect at staying in a line - AND we are in a temp portacabin during building work, having to go across for lunches etc through the day! Also use at end of lunchtime play to reinforce again and again!

Good luck!

Jenni

I use a fun song to the tune of the Addams family...

Our toes are pointing forwards

Our fingers pointing downwards,

Our lips are zipped together,

And now we're in a line.

We're in a line (click, click)

We're in a line (click, click)

We're in a line, we're in a line

We're a line (click, click)

Hi,

My children are very interested in poeple who help us, particularly the police so i've used this to help with lining up times.

I choose 2 children to be the police officers at the front and another 2 to be the police officers at the back. Their job is to be in charge of the line and make sure that everyone else is doing the right thing.

I've have found that this works very well with my class as they are all desperate to be the police officers next time!

AAH, 30 Reception - lovely little people, all forced into these unnatural routines! But we persevere!

I adapt the song from the Peter Pan film - we're 'following the leader' song.

Mine goes like this:

one behind the other, the other, the other,

one behind the other

and now we're in a line!

After 2 weeks of this we are (almost) perfect at staying in a line - AND we are in a temp portacabin during building work, having to go across for lunches etc through the day! Also use at end of lunchtime play to reinforce again and again!

Good luck!

Jenni

Thank you for your suggestions, I will keep them in mind and adapt according to the response of the class. There are so many new rules they have to remember, this years intake seem a little overwhelemed !!! as do I, however knowing I have your experience to help gives me hope ! :o things will get better for the children feeling more secure aswell as the general running of our class ! xD I am very grateful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

In my reception class we have a special person each day who is the leader of any line for the day. This always helps with the lining up and walking.

Why are you taking children to a whole school assembly when they've only just begun school? I think you may find that you don't have to do this until 50% of the class have reached 5 years old. This is the case in my LEA.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We do not go into assembly at all for the first term and a half at least - if there is a special assembly that we feel the children should attend then we put out PE mats for them to sit on - they sit with the key person in their key groups (we have 46 children and 4 key people). That person encourages them to sit and listen and will also quietly answer questions the children have.

Throughout the year we then train them by taking them into smaller assemblies (we are a primary school so have Lower School assemblies as well as whole school assemblies). By the end of the year they are making a line quite well. We also sit them behind a year group rather than at the front as this tends to keep them anchored - no where to move to!

Regarding lining up - have a chat with your pre-schools to see if they practise lining up - ours obviously do as this years cohort are brilliant at lining up! Long may it last.

Again we line up in smaller groups - 4 key groups - with the special helper for the day being at the front - we practise no overtaking - I remind the children who they should stay behind.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with the lining up!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)