Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents And Sessions - Am I Just Getting To Old For This!

On the whole we have lovely parents.........

However the free funding just seems to cause so many problems and added stress.

Am I the only person that sends out forms, asks about sessions etc, sorts out the waiting list- offer spaces, fill up sessions............

.............then during the last week have existing parents saying 'actually, I've been thinking and I'd like to 'up my sessions after-all and take the full 15 hours now' or 'I think I'd like the full 15 hours next April - but just 6 for now'

I know they probably do not understand the system - and I do try to be understanding- but I just want to smack my head against a brick wall!!!

I'd love to 'run empty' and save spaces for these families - but I feel the staff would like paying, and landlord would still want full rent! :oxD:(

Schools have a lot to answer for with the single intake.

Ok rant over. But shurley I'm not the only one with these problems.

Same here Inge. I cant remember EVER doing a register and not having to change it at least half a dozen times before the play leader even see's it.

I have a definite list, a maybe list and a list for future months when the parents want the full hours we offer. All are subject to change. :o

you are definatly not alone!! only this morn a paret comes for an induction ready to start in Sept and asks to change session!!! We finish monday!! I dont knwo if im coming or going with rota's!! wouldnt mind but this same parent only emailed begginning of the week to confirm sessions!! arrggg :o

Andrea

Nope, you are most certainly not alone!! Only this week I have had a parent tell me (but only after me chasing her endlessly) that yes he would be leaving next week to go to school nursery. So I rang someone that afternoon and offerred his place to them, they accepted and next day other parent of leaving child says 'Oh he's not leaving now, my wife has been offered a new job, so he will be back after all in Sept" This was said as he was on his way out the door, I literally had to call him back in to say we had given the place away. honestly the look on his face. However as usual we have managed to sort it.

This year for the first time I didn't allocate Keyworkers. Every year I allocate them and introduce them to the children/parents when they come for their visit and every year I end up having to move them around as parents decide not to turn up, drop sessions, add sessions, change their days etc etc. Anyway, it has worked, I have saved myself endless paperwork or hours of trying to match up children and staff on certain days and that all staff have an equal amount of children So of course this week I sorted them all out and am now expecting a phone call from someone to change something!!

Well it sure is pleasing to know that your not alone.

I could scream at this time of year!

Is anyone elso finding that fewer and fewer children are taking up sessions and waiting until they are funded? Drives me mad xD They come for visits/induction and get mad if you tell them that you can not 'keep' their space open until January when they will be funded :(

Feel better for that, thanks for listening :o

What gets me even more is those parents who tell us they are staying in September and then the nursery teacher visits from school and asks if we've ever heard of little Johnny or Sarah as they are also going to the school on September! Parents then either avoid us altogether or look confused and try to tell us they'd told us all about it weeks ago! And my new rule is don't print a register until they are coming through the door - and even then it will need altering!

sorry Loubylou what do you mean "Schools have a lot to answer for with the single intake." :o

Ok... a bit mean I'll admit - but I had to blame someone!!

Ohh for the days when we knew we'd have spaces coming up throughout the year though. xD:(

On the whole we have lovely parents.........

However the free funding just seems to cause so many problems and added stress.

Am I the only person that sends out forms, asks about sessions etc, sorts out the waiting list- offer spaces, fill up sessions............

.............then during the last week have existing parents saying 'actually, I've been thinking and I'd like to 'up my sessions after-all and take the full 15 hours now' or 'I think I'd like the full 15 hours next April - but just 6 for now'

I know they probably do not understand the system - and I do try to be understanding- but I just want to smack my head against a brick wall!!!

I'd love to 'run empty' and save spaces for these families - but I feel the staff would like paying, and landlord would still want full rent! xD:(:(

Schools have a lot to answer for with the single intake.

Ok rant over. But shurley I'm not the only one with these problems.

Could have written this myself.......drives me mad........if I hear "Oh well I just thought"one more time - I swear I will scream!

Identify too with Rea's varying lists! :o

I am so with you all on this one!! We give out our own form to complete well in advance with hours wanted for September, but when it comes to filling in the official form to claim the grant, parents put something completely different!

Drives me crazy, but hey-ho they are our customers and the customer is always right!

Beehive

I think my staff are blaming me! They think they've got it all sorted and then parents come to me to change it all again and it throws out what they've decided. I think next year I'll just delegate the task to one of them and see how they get on with it!!!!

I think my staff are blaming me! They think they've got it all sorted and then parents come to me to change it all again and it throws out what they've decided. I think next year I'll just delegate the task to one of them and see how they get on with it!!!!

That sounds like a plan! :o

We make sure that we tell all Parents that we can not hold empty sessions and encourage them to pay for the sessions they can afford, generally parents make a choice to pay for sessions and know they will become funded or take a chance and see how many extra sessions are available at the time funding starts.

We keep a simple spreadsheet with sessions available, which allows us to update it quickly which changes and new children and we will only be writing our register just before we start in September.

we've started to take payment the last week of the term prior, therefore if they want to change sessions we have to know before then or they can only have what they already agreed to! Also helps with staff planning!

i so agree with everyone on here - parents seem to think that they can chop and change their minds and we can fit in with thir latest choice. we cannot afford to keep sessions open until children are funded so have told these parents that they will have to reapply once funding comes and if there is a space they are welcome to have it.

i write the registers on paper - scribble out and amend - then even when i think it is right - come the open day parents have changed their minds yet again so i amend it - then we open in september and some that were sooooo keen never even turn up !!!!! crazy eh x

Hi

I always end up swoping places for the first 2 weeks and then various changes through out the year. I hold back the keyworker sheet for a couple of weeks as if the parents are swoping days, the children end up on different days as the keyworker. I always end up so stressed during the first 2 weeks, just from parents swoping and all the extra paper work it causes.

I do think though that it is the fault of the way the funding works though. Some parents try to book in and say I will take the free entitlement from January. Or they say they want to increase later on. I sometimes think the government expect us to shut for the Autumn term until we wait for the next lot to be funded.

Now that all children start school full time in September, I think that all children should have at least 5 terms funded before school. Its not fair on summer born children as they only get 3 terms funded before school and they need it more. They also get the left over places as the Autumn funded have nabbed them all!

Edited by diesel10

I'm expecting a 'rash' of swapping this week as all the welcome cards have just gone to the new starters. These remind parents what sessions they have booked, so ......

We make sure that we tell all Parents that we can not hold empty sessions and encourage them to pay for the sessions they can afford, generally parents make a choice to pay for sessions and know they will become funded or take a chance and see how many extra sessions are available at the time funding starts.

That's exactly what I do, if a parent says they don't want to start until funded I just say sorry I am offering the place to the next person who wants to start.

Our parents only ever want 2 sessions (our minimum allowed) until they are funded, but I make it very clear that I will NOT confirm there will be more sessions available when they want them.

I'm having a very slow start on the returning of Registration forms for the new starters too this year, anyone else got the same?