Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Repetitive Under The Sea Storymaking Text

Hi I am thinking to after half term where my topic will be under the sea. I have this year been doing the storymaking talk for writing project with my children and each term have picked a repetitive story for us to learn together which has been really successful. So far we have learnt the gingerbread man, litte red hen, nat fantastic and handa's surprise. I am really struggling with a repetitive text under the sea related- tiddler would be the obvious choice but with it being a rhyming text I would have to rewrite it and it seems a shame to alter such a fab book. Has anyone any ideas?

Deb

I have thought about the rainbow fish (it doesn't rhyme) but would have to rewrite it quite a lot adding in the repetition for it to work but can do it if I'm struggling.

My children already pretty much know tiddler by heart anyway but I think it is unsuitable for the storymaking because one of the most important things that we do with the story once we have learned it by heart is to work together as a class or in groups to retell the story by changing it in some way, adding in our own ideas to change the character, setting or ending of the story. Some stories are more ripe for this to happen than others. Rhyming stories that are completely rhyming are really tricky for the children to change and the stories need to be very simple and repetitive for them to work. Something like the gruffalo for example wouldn't be suitable because it would not be easy at all to use that story structure to then for the children to make up a different story you couldn't change the characters, setting or the ending as the rhymes wouldn't fit. Nat Fantastic has a repetitive ryhming phrase (flash bang whizz kaboom, nat fantastic is in the room)but the rest of the story is narrative and worked really well as the children then changed the adventures that Nat had.

Will look at little Jack and shark in the park but again the rhyming could make things difficult.

Thanks for your ideas so far folks

Deb

there is one im sure but cant think of its title

maybe have a look in bookshop/library at these

hooray for fish - l cousins

secret starfish - blackstone

actually it could be way down deep in the deep blue sea - j peck

hope this helps :o

Hi,

I know its not under the sea but the book 'Port Side Pirates' contains sea creatures and is very repetative and rhymes. When I used it with my children it inspired fabulous dance routines and role play explorations in their own pirate ship.

hope this helps

I haven't got a suggestion but am replying so I can track the topic because my topic next half term is the seaside and my ASD class love repetitive text.

I'm looking forward to all your fabulous suggestions :o

I am currently doing the rainbow fish, I can upload my version of the story tomorrow and a photo of my story map if you like. My class loved it and are doing really well with it, they know the story really well and have produced some brilliant writing.

Hi,

I am also doing Rainbow fish at the moment - and it is a relief to be honest as it is not repetitive! I have re-written it and made it 4 short paragraphs!

Also there are loads of resources out there to "loiter" with the text as Sir Pie would say!

Edited by Guest

Many thanks love the pirate story and would be really interested in seeing the rainbow fish script too. It might be that with the long term I can get both in. I was starting of with under the sea as have a trip to the sealife centre booked but was hoping that it would go the direction of pirates towards the end of the term. Miss blinx I have found a few books seaside related which are repetitive such as mister seahorse and a home for hermit crab both Eric Carle and both lovely stories but I didn't think they would quite grab the children. I would have probably had to rewrite the text a little to appeal more to them. I was also looking at using the structure of rosie's walk as a basis for an under the sea text with a shark chasing after a little fish. It is so much easier if there are are resources out there that you can use alongside the text as that saves so much time. Thanks for all your help and suggestions everyone (doo 7375 and Jemily Jones, I would be really grateful if you could upload your scripts)

Deb

I am also about to do 'Under the Sea' and would really like to see your script too please!

Many thanks

Miss blinx I have found a few books seaside related which are repetitive such as mister seahorse and a home for hermit crab both Eric Carle and both lovely stories but I didn't think they would quite grab the children.

Thanks so much busybee, both of these stories look perfect for my class and will help with teaching them to ask and answer questions and be good friends and work together, both things that they struggle with due to their autism and that we are working on at the moment.

I'm off to Amazon to order them! :o

• 5 weeks later...
I am currently doing the rainbow fish, I can upload my version of the story tomorrow and a photo of my story map if you like. My class loved it and are doing really well with it, they know the story really well and have produced some brilliant writing.

whoops I had completely forgotten I was going to do this. Will dig it out at school on monday and post monday night - sorry.

Thanks all for your help, nothing seemed quite right so I decided to write my own story I based it on the 3 billy goats gruff but set it under the sea it's called 'The 3 clever rainbow fish' a mean old eel living in the cave won't let the rianbow fish past his cave to eat the pink coral. The children have absolutely loved learning and roleplaying the story. I would still be really interested to see the story script for the Rainbow fish.

deb

What a lovely idea Busybee. I love writing my own stories for the children, especially when the children love them!

Thank you I would love the see the script and story map, it sounds great. I have decided to go with A New Home For a Pirate as the children are really enjoying the story. I have added two pirates Jed and Jess instead of just Jed and a couple of birds, dogs, sheep and bulls so that the children can help each other if they forget their lines or are off sick! They are making their own backdrops and masks so am hoping it will all go well. It is my first assembly and we have only been practising since yesterday but, they are doing really well. We are going to sing 'Together' at the end which they love too and as the story is all about working together it should hopefully be ok!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have also entered the world of blogging, and very shortly the rainbow fish script and map will appear there along with others that I have done. If anyone is interested then they can pm me and I will give them a link. I can't quarantee the blog is great, but it might help others with ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

what about The Fish Who Could Wish? You can change the things he wishes for, which can be as weird and wonderful as you want! My Reception class love this!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)