Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Teacher Interview

clairew28

Hello

I have an interview at a small school for a reception teacher post. I am going to have a 25min interview with the head, 15min interview with the school council and a 25min teaching task.

For the teaching task I need to use a text of my choice as a stimulus. I need to carry out a whole class input (12pupils) and then work with a group of 6 pupils (mixed ability) for the rest of the time. Any ideas? I am a bit worried about the time as I always feel it flies by and not knowing abilities etc. I did think about doing Billy's Bucket and either carrying out a speaking and listening activity or add in a drawing/writing activity but could take a while...help!! Feel all flustered about it and I know I shouldn't be, its been 4 years since I had an interview.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks guys :o

I would say that you need to chose a book that you are very confident with, maybe use an activity that you have done before that you know works well.

I don't know Billy's bucket so can't really help there :/

hopefully someone will be along in a mo who knows that story and can help a bit more.

Lucie

What springs to mind and what I would do and is very of the moment is the talk for writing/storytelling pie corbett approach whereby you teach the children a story by heart with actions. I am doing this with my reception class at the moment and it has been very successful. In the time that you have, you could teach the story to all the children (standing up is best for you and the children) so they will all be active participants and then your group of 6 could help you to set up a tuff spot to help tell the story eg if you did the gingerbread man they could help you to find the bull, horse, stable from the farm equipment and blue paper for the river green for the field etc and then together they could tell the story with your guidance. Doing this would take courage as you would have to know your story off by heart as you wouldn't use the book but it certainly has the wow factor. If you decide to go this route, a search on the iternet would find you clips of people doing this with their children DFES website and Scholastc website has Pie Corbett doing this I could provide you with the script for Gingerbread Man.

For my interview last May I did sharing a shell as a starting point and then set up several different activities around the class in the 6 areas for the children to choose from and the group I guided I cut out shell shaped paper and made a writing area under a table which was suposed to be inside a shell (I covered it in sparkly fabric) and the children pretended to be the characters from the story and wrote sorry letters to each other. (I had and hour to fill though!)

Another good one I heard was a friend of mine who did whatever next and acted out the story as she read it ending up actually sitting in a box with a collander on her head she then gave each group of children a large box to have an adventure in.

I think Billy's bucket is fab and you can get so much from it what about either giving them each a bucket with water in and they have to imagine what they can see (but for some this could be tricky) or having a magic bucket of your own with all sorts of lovely things in it glitter, sequins different sea animals, mermaid, mirror, glass jewels that you could pass round the table and they could describe what they could each see in the bucket. If time they could list the things they could see in the bucket on a shape cut out in the shape of a bucket.

Hope that helps! It really is difficult to think of something whizzy for interview when you don't know the children (I've been there!)

good luck!hope it goes well

debbie

I think I am sorted now!! I am sticking with Billy's Bucket and have decided to read and discuss story, then have a bucket with objects in for the children to discuss what they can see. I am then going to present them with my magic bucket and tell them what I would have in it if I could choose anything in the world. Once a few confident ones have put their ideas forward we are going to draw a picture of 'inside their bucket' and scribe as an extension. Also got a small world set up for once they are sorted!! I feel it is hard in a 30 min gap tho to cater for all areas and create a representation of how I run a class!! Ideally I would want CI play aswell but feel this would be tricky in 30mins, not knowin chn to call over to complete focus etc with me :o !? Think I am def over thinking!! Also I have a second interview with same layout of the day....argh!!! x

Don't worry about fitting everything into the 30 minutes. You can describe what you would do if you had more time to the interviewers. Teach your lesson as a starter to a unit of work, then tell them what would come next. You could even write a plan for the whole unit to share with them.

Good luck x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)