Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gak Without Borax

Hi

I really want to make gak - the runny, slimey, goo that children love to play with but I don't have any borax or liquid starch. Also, is it safe to use borax and starch?

Have heard that you can use cornflour to replace the borax.

Does anyone have a recipe for this or a similar mixture?

thanks

Reading other posts on here recently, it would appear that borax is toxic, should it be ingested - so perhaps not a good idea

What property does the borax bring to this gak - using pure soap flakes and hot water, left to react gives a runny gooey mixture which our children like - cornflour does the same but allows the children to "stun" the mixture so that it goes momentarily stiff, before going runny again.

Does the borax make it flubbery? "rubbery" or runny

HI we use borax to make our slime with 3-4 year olds. Never had any problems- will try the snowflake soap powder to see if acts in same way. Haven't got recipe here but if you PM me I will try and remember to bring it home from nursery for you

It's this kind of thing I want to make

Visit Website

Hmm difficult to tell what the fabulon/starch/borax brings to the mix - soapflakes and hot water makes a similar effect when the children lift it up in the air - but not as stable as their gak in the box theirs looks rather rubbery to me or has a more elastic quality.

When I make the goop with soapflakes, I can't say that I measure anything really, before I leave the setting after lunch, I just put quite lot of soapflakes in the bowl and had hot water and mix it around - at this point it is still very fluid, but when I return in the morning, it has firmed up a lot, and once the children work with it it goes stringy like their gak!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)