Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journeys

Hi everyone,

Well I haven't been on here for nearly 2 years I am ashamed to say!!! Went on maternity, had a lovely little boy and now have returned to work full time and don't ever seem to have a spare second. Feel a little out of touch to tell you the truth. I was just hoping that somone might be able to help me with learning journeys. How do you organise yours? Folder/books? Do you split them up into areas of learning? Any help would be much appreciated. Hoping to have a big change around in the hols. x

Hi, might not be exactly what you mean but ours consist of a photograph and observation including child's vocabulary, what the adult did to support learning, links to EYFS, next steps and a box for parents to comment. I send one home each term to parents.

I also have an observation file for each child which I share with parents at parent's evenings. These include post-its, photographs and some examples of writing etc from the areas of learning. I'm reception by the way!

Chickpea x

P.S my TA sticks these in each week during my PPA time. The observation files are split into the 6 areas.

Chickpea

Ours sound much more informal than the learning journeys of chickpea.

We presently have the books with polly pockets already in them (if you know what I mean?!)

There are 40 pockets in these folders and we put in work, paintings, photocopies of stuff they ahve done, photographs, observations, post its. Whatever evidence we can.

Parents are welcome to bring in anything from home ie holiday snaps or pics from visits etc and these go in also.

They are available for parents and the children to access at any time.

They have their name on the edge but a photo on the front oo.

When we have used all of the folders we have I think I will move to A4 folders with plastic covers as our reception does.

This will mean we put in polly pockets as they are needed, and for children who attend erratically they won't have half a book empty!

Also for those who seem to flourish they can have the extra pages rather than another book!

Having said that only a couple of children (5 term children) have needed extra books!

They are ordered chronalogically and our parents like that. So many activities are cross curriculuar that separating them into areas of learning made no sense to us.

At the back though we have a sheet where we note when we have evidence for each area of learning just to keep an eye on how much evidence we have for say calculating or handwriting etc.

We note near each picture which area we are using it to cover (ie PD or KUW etc)

I love the books and wish I had one from my childrens nursery time!!!!

Thats a bit spooky - i have just logged on to post the same questtion!!!!!! We are currently looking at the way our learning journeys are stored - we currently have them in the plastic A4 folders (the flimsy types where the back cover/side is colured & the front is clear plastic (the best way I could think of to describe them!!) We file the evidence (be it sample of work/photograph/photocopy etc) chronologically & then have a separate plastic wallet to file incidental/post it type obs (a sheet of headed paper for each area of learning) / another wallet for the longer/focused obs of chdn and another wallet for parent contributions.

I too was wondering if we shopuld change to books or keep them as folders or if anybody had any other exciting/successful ideas/ways which they would share. So I will be watching the posts with anticipation. xxx

peronally i would say do not split them into areas as it is much harder to look back over 6 weeks or termly to see what the hads achieved or where they are at, you are flitting back and forwards all the time - if that makes sence. Our provisions just put thier obs, post its, photos and families input then after 6 weeks a review of the last 6 weeks (which is in areas of learning) - then start again :o

We use good quality A4 ringbinders and plastic pockets, and "file" everything chronologically, but only the children's observations, photos etc. go in there any sensitive information is stored elsewhere. When the children leave we transfer their learning journey file to the plastic project style you have indicated and recycle the A4 binder for another child.

We do ours in a similar way to Panders, A4 ring binder divided up into the six areas , in each we put incidental observations/photos/work , with a separate section for the half termly 'long' observations which we use to update thier progress. At the end of thier time with us it gets rebound into a 'flimsy' file and we reuse the ring binders. :o

Hi!

We do a similar thing to Scarlettangel. Each child has an A4 ring binder in which we put all photographs, observations, 'new' evidence of learning, things the children are proud of and anything that parents would also like to contribute to it. They are always availabel for the children to look through and we have a wall where children put work that they are proud of and would like to be put in! This is divided into Autumn, spring and summer terms and at the back of the folder we have a copy of each child's FSP record.

The parents love seeing the folders and is something really nice for them to keep at the end of the year! (The FSP obviously gets taken out and passed onto the next teacher).

Annalea

Guest ChunkyMan

Hi there,

We use their school 'workbooks' which have lots of different work either independent or teacher led activities. We then add all the photos taken every half term relating to the topic covered and get the children to look through and talk about what is happening in the pictures - teacher/TA scribes under each photo. The observations (usually postits) are attached if nessecary to relevant pieces of work etc. Parents can take them home at the end of the year. Any other observation/assessment is discarded once it has informed the EYFS profile.

I hope this is of some use?

Guest ChunkyMan

Hi there,

We use their school 'workbooks' which have lots of different work either independent or teacher led activities. We then add all the photos taken every half term relating to the topic covered and get the children to look through and talk about what is happening in the pictures - teacher/TA scribes under each photo. The observations (usually postits) are attached if nessecary to relevant pieces of work etc. Parents can take them home at the end of the year. Any other observation/assessment is discarded once it has informed the EYFS profile.

I hope this is of some use?

We are thinking of changing our system next September after seeing a variety of records at moderation earlier. We'll have an assessment folder divided in 13 areas with descriptors of the points for each area on A3 sheet, boxes for the dates on which any observations/assessments took place next to them. The post-its + half termly observations and any child-initiated work will go on the back of the corresponding sheet and cross-referenced to any other areas in a form of date. Any adult-led work evidence will go into a separate folder. To show the voice of a child we will be doing Home Journal with prompts for the parents of what kind of information we are looking for each week. Children will share them with the rest of the class. We are not planning on adding any information into them.

Sorry if it's a bit confusing. :o

We have large scrap books which we initially put the 'all about me' home visit booklet in (in a poly sleeve).

We then add photos, spontaneous observations (made on stickers, not post its), narrative observations (made during their focus week) and any examples of work such as painting, writing, drawing and observations made by parents/carers (on stickers which are sent home with a letter of explanation).

Everything is dated and stuck in in date order to show progression, splitting it into areas of learning is difficult as one observation can relate to many different areas.

At the end of the child's focus week (usually 3 children per week), we go through the book with the child and annotate their comments on speech bubble shaped post it notes.

The child's individual learning plan (one per term) is also put in the book, along with the EYFSP ready reckoner which the key person highlights after finding the evidence in the book.

The book is shared with the parent at a meeting the week after the child's focus week.

And that is it....it's a lot of work, but the books are lovely (I wish my children had had one when they were in Reception!) and the children enjoy looking through them as they are placed in the book area (although permission needs to be sought before looking, as they need to be taken care of).

At the end of the year, the books are passed onto the Y1 teacher who will give it to the parents before the end of the first half term holiday in October.

Good luck with whatever method you choose. :o

Edited by millhill

The child's individual learning plan (one per term) is also put in the book, along with the EYFSP ready reckoner which the key person highlights after finding the evidence in the book.

Good luck with whatever method you choose. :o

Hiya millhill, how often does the key worker highlight the EYFSP ? Once a week or longer ( Im a cm by the way and trying to find a suitable method of progression tracking to use that is not overly complex!) many thanks, :)

Hi waveawand, the reckoner is highlighted once per term after the child's focus week. It is not in anyway complex, it is probably the easiest way of managing evidence I have found (after nearly 10 years of trying out different formats!)

[Hi Millhill - well after 10 years of trying - sounds like you have it sussed!!! Would you mind attaching example sheets of the learning plan / EYFSP reckoner that ou outlined. Thank you in anticipation x

I do exactly the same as millhill and agree with everything said (its like you took the words out of mouth!). I also have focus children each week but haven't been going through the books with the children but lovely idea so will do this next year! x

I do exactly the same as millhill and agree with everything said (its like you took the words out of mouth!). I also have focus children each week but haven't been going through the books with the children but lovely idea so will do this next year! x

KST = would you be willing to post examples please?. Many thanks. xx

KST = would you be willing to post examples please?. Many thanks. xx

What example do you want to see? My learning stories are in red scrap books ordered from espo. I have all the scale points on an A4 page (2 sided) clipped in at the back and the individual plan at the front. The individual plan is a plod which has child's name and interests in the middle and the 6 areas of learning. x

Hi everyone,

Well I haven't been on here for nearly 2 years I am ashamed to say!!! Went on maternity, had a lovely little boy and now have returned to work full time and don't ever seem to have a spare second. Feel a little out of touch to tell you the truth. I was just hoping that somone might be able to help me with learning journeys. How do you organise yours? Folder/books? Do you split them up into areas of learning? Any help would be much appreciated. Hoping to have a big change around in the hols. x

Here it is, its just the one off the EYFS CD I think or maybe one I found off line, not totally sure! There are planning templates as part of the documents but ones I use.

PLODs.pdf

[Hi Millhill - well after 10 years of trying - sounds like you have it sussed!!! Would you mind attaching example sheets of the learning plan / EYFSP reckoner that ou outlined. Thank you in anticipation x

I found the EYFSP reckoner on the TES website (so it is not my genius!). The learning plan is the same as KST's, I have attached some completed ones.

The activities are based on the child's interests and developmental needs. Dare I say it........the needs might be to move away from their interest (as they might spend all day at one activity) and discover something new.

Individual learning plans (PLODs)N_PLOD_may.doc D_PLOD_may.docH_PLOD_may.doc

EYFSP ready reckoner Individual_FSP_2008_1_.doc

Edited by millhill

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am relatively new to this and am in the early stages of my EYPS and work in a day nursery.

I am looking into revamping our nurseries learning journeys, focusing on including photos and pictures from/of the children from nursery and home. I have read through the ways in which some of you have done this and all ways seem appealling (by scrapbooks to folders with plastic wallets).

Thank you for these great ideas - does anyone have any recommendations on which method is best?? Or it may just be a case of try and find out.... (Does anyone know where example completed folders may be available?)

Thanks

:) Charly :)

Welcome to the forum, you'll find loads to keep you entertained here.

As you said, it's probably best to try it and see for yourself, as what works brilliantly for one person may not be liked by another! Have you looked at the southampton one?

Edited by Cait

Here it is, its just the one off the EYFS CD I think or maybe one I found off line, not totally sure! There are planning templates as part of the documents but ones I use.

Hi there, I;m new to the forum and this is my first post - how exciting! I have been a Nursery Teacher for 3 years but moving to Reception in September.

I just wanted to say that we used these individual plans last year in the Nursery and found them a real burden as we had to do them every fortnight for each child. I'm just interested to know - do you do yours every fortnight or not?

Afternoon - is it really the 1st of September next week?????? Where did those 6 weeks go.

We have just two books during the term for every child. One is a plain A4 topic book, and all of the observations get stuck in there; whether they are post its, stickers long obs or photos. Each one is labelled chronologically and that number is marked against each goal, (easy for cross referencing too) on every child's individual Early Learning Goals sheet.

Then we have a scrap book which is for all of the children's work. These are changed every 6 weeks; at the end of every term the parents come in and stick the work into the books with their children, giving them the opportunity to share what they have done. We then stick an Early Learning Goals sheet on the back of them and mark of the goals.

The parents can record what they like the most, what they feel their children have enjoyed etc and record what things the children might say whilst they are sticking bits in. It works really well for us.

Nicky

Hi there, I;m new to the forum and this is my first post - how exciting! I have been a Nursery Teacher for 3 years but moving to Reception in September.

I just wanted to say that we used these individual plans last year in the Nursery and found them a real burden as we had to do them every fortnight for each child. I'm just interested to know - do you do yours every fortnight or not?

I'm in reception so probably slightly different to nursery but think every 2 weeks would be an absolute night mare!! I only write one per term and update them every half term or when a significant new interest appears. Can you not just update them by adding new interests/next steps and date them? I find it hard enough doing them half termly but find it ties in all the next steps in their learning story which helps us support children in their child initiated play and for me to plan adult led group activities suitable for children with similar next steps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)