Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jack And The Beanstalk

Next term we shall be using various stories for our topic. Has anyone any ideas for activities connected to Jack and the Beanstalk?

Anita

hope this helps.

The climbing jack pictures were like this: collage a bean stalk onto card. Cut out a jack shape figure. At the top of the beanstalk cut a horizontal slit and slide a long thin piece of card through. Stop it going right through by attaching a horizontal bit of card slightly wider than the slit. Attach jack to the bottom of it. When you pull it up jack will climb the beanstalk! Some children added giants/castles etc to larger versions.

HAve fun

Cx

short_term_planner_nursery_Sp_2__week_3.doc

grow beans!

Great fun and you can grow runner bean seeds in jam jars between the jar and layers of blotting paper and watch the development of shoot and root!

I had a book once many moons ago which I have not been able to track down for a long time with a title something like the story of a bean. It had pictures of this and it takes about 10 days. We checked progress against the bean but no reason why you shouldnt do this anyway.

Hi Catma

Thank you for posting your short term plan. I'm sure we will be able to use some of the ideas and adapt others. Your plans are really clear and I like the way you type the stepping stones in the correct colours.

Anita

Anita

They will grow in January. When we did this we placed some jars in the perfect conditions, ie light, warm and with water. We deprived some of light, some of warmth, some of water and some of all 3 and watched what happened!

For a display we drew round a child for Jack and painted him and an adult for the giant. We put Jack at one end of the room with a beanstalk trailing round the room to the giant. It looked really good.

Linda

Hi!!

Allow me to add a small tuppenceworth!

Have done this forever! Yes, they'll grow. Linda's suggestions regarding illustrations of life needs are great. Don't forget, your 'control' beans in the setting can be balanced against the beans the children take home to 'grow on', that way, children with less support at home can still see what else will happen!

We had some very nice bean meals this year in our setting! (Day Nursery)

Sue :D

Grow sunflowers - talk about what you need to grow one

Picture sequencing in groups eg. seed, water, sun , flower pot,shoot etc etc

Talk about what would happen without water or sun and grow some like that.

Picture diary of the weekly development of the sunflower

Measurement - in small groups tallest to shortest

Draw sunlfower pictures or collage

Talk about how the sunflowers are growing - what do the leaves feel like, the size etc

Pot of jelly beans ( Jack's magic beans)

Weigh them

Sort them according to colour

Use tweezers to move them from one pot to another ( could be timed)

Make a collage with them

Make instruments with them

Role Play - Jack and his mums house or the Giants kitchen

Make the beanstalk from junk modelling

Picture sequencing of the story

Have different Jack and the Beanstalk books around and some puppets

Have a tray full of compost and gardening tools and natural objects eg pine cones

leaves etc

Talk about the feelings of Jack and his mother with no food, how Jack feels when he sees the Giant etc etc

Let your imagination run riot the list could go on and on

Just a few ideas...

We will be doing this as part of our Spring 2 theme on growing. I'll look out the planning at school and see if I've got any good ideas - I'm sure though that they'll be similar to others you'll get/or will be doing anyway. I do remember that we also looked at - Jasper's Beanstalk - very good for learning days of the week, talking about gardening equipment, sequencing etc. My class last year loved Jim and the Beanstalk as a follow-on (a few in the class had quite a sophisticated sense of humour). This book in itself leads to loads of measuring activities, literacy ideas as children can write letters to the giant etc.

Harricroft

Not sure if I have remembered this correctly but their is a game - often played at cubs and brownies not sure what it is called but good for developing listening skills.

call out

beans on toast - children stand back to back

runner beans - children run on the spot

chilli beans - children shiver and rub arms

broad beans - children stretch arms out as wide as they can

jumping beans - children jump up and down

has anyone else played this game any more actions?

Thank you everyone for all the ideas.

Linda; I'll have a go at growing beans which will be interesting because in our church hall when the heating goes off it can be very cold!!

Mousebat; I like the idea of using jelly beans for maths activities.

Mimi; we've played the game you mentioned and the children really enjoy it. We also add "jelly beans and the children have to wobble.

Anita

We get the children to draw/write about what they would like to find at the top of a magic beanstalk.

I think, if my memory serves me right, that there are some musical activities for Jack and the beanstalk in The Three Singing Pigs (Kaye Umansky).

• 2 weeks later...

Just remembered theres a great interactive story of jack and the beanstalk and an alternative version called jack and the giant on bbc web page. My class LOVED them we are lucky enought to have an interactive whiteboard in our classroom and I have never seen them sit so quiet! hope the link works

jack and the beanstalk

Thank you for the link, Kat. I just had to watch it and it's a shame we won't be able to use it at preschool but we meet in a church hall so have no tv and internet link. I can imagine that the children [and the staff!] would have loved it.

Anita

Thanks for the link! Will definately use it in my class with R and Year 1...have a lot of boys and they listen much better to the computer than they do to me!!! Will be very, very useful...i love this site!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)