Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Talking And Thinking Books

Hello, would just like to know if anyone in preschool/nursery were doing talking and thinking books? Went on an observation and planning course today and these were brought up very briefly, sounded very good, I managed to get hold of a book by Claire Warden (Mindstretchers) and it so far is an interesting read. Again problem is taking information back to setting and getting any interest. Was told on course it is a good way of showing evidence of childrens interests. Has anyone implimented them and how is it going? I am going to give it a go over the next few days and will gladly feed back if anyone interested.

I will be very interested. I have read this book and want to implement some of the ideas into my setting. i have researched involving children in planning using the talking and thinking floorbooks as part of my degree.

jojom x

I work in a Reception class but would be interested to hear how this develops over the next few weeks. Isn't it great when a course inspires you to change or adapt your practice?

Nicky Sussex :oxD

Hi the way i would describe it is similar to a learning wall, with ideas coming from children about a certain topic for example if a child bought in some shells from the seaside we could start a book with a heading along the lines of 'where do shells come from' children would then give their ideas, say the beach, snails, tortoises etc, this would then move on to drawings, photographs, model making etc all kept in a book which could be out on display and acessed at any time to add to, so in a way very similiar to learning walls. I have googled 'talking and thinking floorbooks - claire warden' and some info is there. Hope to hear some more feedback soon.

Thanks for filling me in. I love learning walls, they tick so many boxes at once - children's involvement, recognising their own learning, parents involved etc,etc,

Talking and thinking books sound good too. I'll watch this thread with interest.

Gruffalo2 :o

if anyone interested website is www.mindstretchers.co.uk sorry cant do link computer and myself a bit old for that type of thing but have a look, bypass all the for sale stuff and is an interesting page to read through.

I have just been on the Mindstretchers website. It certainly looks like an interesting acticle. Has anyone read Claire Warden's book 'Thinking and Talking Floorbooks'? Is it as good as it sounds? Is it readable? Is it worth £20?

goodmorning, i have got the mindstretchers book, and it seems good, but mine is borrowed from local early years team, havnt read all of it yet just had a flick through really, perhaps a little more searching online would come up with same info not sure. I will be giving it a go in coming couple of days, I'll let you know how it goes (fingers crossed), like everything with 2 - 5 years olds dont know where we will end up!!

Wow! You must be a lark!

I'm about to some more searching on line, so will let you know anything I come up with.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

I have been on a TTB course and they are fantastic. Im in a nursery setting with 4 key groups am and pm so am having to rejig from a book on each topic to a book for each group involving all topics of the children's interest.

Due to the amount of work that goes into the learning journeys we have decided to do an etalking and thinking book which will be on circuit on the whiteboard throughout the day. We haven't tried it all yet but are just about to.

This is the plan

First topic we are deciding to be 'nursery'

Friday - sitting with key groups with nursery jumper in the middle and a variety of nursery items around the circle. Listen and talk about the items and nursery with the children. On big speech bubbles write key words from the children or questions. By the end you should be able to find a strong majority link/topic to plan for the next week.

Monday - numeracy based experiences linked to the interest decided

Tuesday KUW based experiences linked to the interest decided

Wed Creative based experiences linked to the interest decided

Thursday Physical based experiences linked to the interest

Friday literacy based (speaking -listening - mark making ) watch photos from the week before having circle chat

Then it rolls over again.

Well thats the plan

I'll let you know x

We have just started our version of talking thinking books

plan is to observe and take photo's of things that have really grabbed the child (we individually plan any way)

the plan then is to stick these photos in along with any conversation the child had at the time of photo taking and of what is said as they stick the pictures in

a mind map or talking tub could be used to discover what the child is interested in , what knowledge they hold and what gaps of knowledge they have

staff will then work out next steps for the child using their interests this will be also be written in the book

and so the process continues

we use a sepearte folder to house data we keep on the children.

the books belong to the child and will have daily access to them.

hope that makes sense!!!!!!!

We went on talking thinking floor books training with mind stretchers it was fantatsic

any training with clare warden is amazing and if you get the chance to hear her speak do......she is wonderful and so funny

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)