Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Under The Sea Lesson Plan

hi ya everyone,

just wondered if anyone could help i am being observed on my topic of under the sea next week and wondered if anyone had any great ideas. it is for a recepion class of 23 and i can do it on any area of learning. i always do literacy though so wouldnt mind a change. for my last observation i got an outstanding by the school sip so want it to be another fantastic lesson. so that is why i have come here to ask as i have no ideas- i am 20 weeks pregnant and think i have pregnancy brain. lol

any ideas would be greatly ppreciated- i would love to do something maybe in the water tray orr outside but cant think of any x x x x

could you do rhyme 12345 once i caught a fish alive - bring in maths ? what about different sea creatures - talk about similarities/differences - number of legs/tentacles/patterns? what about story rainbow fish -talk about colours - mixing colours - bring in sharing/taking turns

there is something on here somewhere about the fish who could wish with lots of ideas - have a look around x

hope that might help?

Edited by blondie

Does it need to be a whole class session? If not could it be a small group and you actually get some fish from the fishmonger and let children explore the fish and discuss colour, shape, smell, feel etc.

Your observation should have an objective or a focus if you prefer--the criteria against which you are being observed? This focus/objectives should be decided before your obs and agreed between you and the observer and it is that that the observer should comment on.

Your observation should have an objective or a focus if you prefer--the criteria against which you are being observed? This focus/objectives should be decided before your obs and agreed between you and the observer and it is that that the observer should comment on.

I totally agree - it would be totally unfair for it to be a completely open observation based purely on what you decide to teach.

it is totally on what i want to do there is no criteria or observation- i just do what i want! it is always done this way im afraid!

thanx loads for you ideas people they are great!

In our Under the Sea topic the children made their own rock pools. Clear plastic bowls/trays, water, sand rocks, green/brown cellophane, shells and sea creatures. This activity inspired the children so much it took over the week! They observed changes in sand, the clarity of the water, the different feel of the celophane when it became wet etc. Aswell as all the creativity it inspired. Pictures/paintings/imaginative play etc.

Hope it goes well.

I'm starting same topic tomorrow, although recalled it Shark Tales, as using video as stimulous. Last time I used Nemo - great video to use, our outcome for the topic was a 'play' - children and me wrote script which I read and they moved about the stage accordingly wearing super head dresses.

Bit late in day but might inspire your thoughts some how, good luck

hi ya everyone,

just wondered if anyone could help i am being observed on my topic of under the sea next week and wondered if anyone had any great ideas. it is for a recepion class of 23 and i can do it on any area of learning. i always do literacy though so wouldnt mind a change. for my last observation i got an outstanding by the school sip so want it to be another fantastic lesson. so that is why i have come here to ask as i have no ideas- i am 20 weeks pregnant and think i have pregnancy brain. lol

any ideas would be greatly ppreciated- i would love to do something maybe in the water tray orr outside but cant think of any x x x x

sorry proabably late in the day but I have just finished my under the sea topic and here are some of the things I did:

We:

used the KentED site to get a template of the rainbow fish that the children could use colour magic with to paint scales

we covered half of a balloon in mod roc, painted them and made jelly fish

we used window pens to create an under the sea picture on our classroom windows, which the ch also labelled

we went to the local pet store and bought fish, we then wrote the instructions on how to look after them, and a rota for who was going to feed them etc

we used the rainbow fish story for maths stories; eg one rainbow fish had three scales and another had four, how many altogther, the ch stuck the scales on the fish and told me their story to record

we decroated sea horse pictures in repeating patterns

we measured out the length of sea creatures on the field

we went rock pooling and caught crabs - not a good idea for an observation - but lots of fun

we made under the sea snow storms - we decorated glass jars with an under water scene with glass paint and filled it with glitter and blue coloured water, screwed the lid on and then used kitchen sealent to seal it all - they were great

we did a lot on capacity - comparing and ordering

we also watched the Little mermaid and learnt the words to Under the Sea

we watched Shark Tale and as Bruce the shark is a vegetarian we looked at healthy foods and made vegetarian lasagne - they loved it

we visited the local fishmonger who gave us some fantastic fish and crabs we we did observational drawings of

we sequenced the story of the rainbow fish - sparkle box helped there!

we drew under the sea pictures with crayon and washed over them with blue paint

we printed sea turtles using different shaped stamps

we sorted different shells

we looked through lots of non fiction books to find out facts about different creatures - the children brought in loads of stories and books too

we adopted a dolphin

we set up the role play area as a rockpool, then a mermaid cave

we looked at different patterns on the fish etc and talked about camaflauge

we moved like different sea creatures to the music of the Little Mermaid

we created octopuses with paper chain legs

if you type - under the sea powerpoint - into google - loads comes up!

we created an under the sea collage and used directional words to discuss where they were

Books we used - sharing a shell

commotion in the ocean

fish that could wish

rainbow fish

shark in the park

whale song

figedty fish

tiddler

snail and the whale

Hope this helps a little - I was sitting here planning next term and was thinking I didn't cover everything I wanted to but it would appear now that it is written down that I did quite a lot!!!

Good Luck with the observation

Nicky

I forgot to also mention that we went off to Sainsbury's and bought different types of fish to try - they tried tuna, salmon, pilchards, prawns, mussels and even octopus!! it comes in a tin with tentacles and everything!!!!

we also made jelly - a tenuous link to jelly fish I know, but they had fun!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)