Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Action Research Project

SueJ

HELP

I have run loads of ideas round and round in my head about a topic for my foundation degree action research assignment.

At first I thought I'd look at the sustainability of the professional in the PVI sector - too broad

After several dead ends I have an idea!

would like to bounce this one around the forum to see if anyone thinks its a goer!

In early years settings we all use a range of signs and actions (recognised or self-developed) in our interactions with young children. In my setting we have often used Makaton with children with additional needs and even though we have no children on roll at present who "need" to use Makaton we still, as a regular practice, sing songs using our "talking hands".

I am thinking about using my action research assignment to determine whether there is a place for using and teaching sign language as an everyday second language for all the children in the setting and am particularly interested in seeing whether by doing this we improve our practice in respect of including the child's voice.

A quick flick around t'internet shows a little mainly american research - so there is something out there!

Would welcome any feedback on whether you thinks this is a viable project.

Thanks in anticipation.

:o

Sue

I think that is a super idea and something that ought to be more common place in all settings. Ive seen it used very successfully in an LEA nursery with predominantly EAL and have tried to implement it within my reception class although I have very little specific knowledge.

Whether it is too broad though as a research project I have no idea.

Good luck.

Hi Sue J

i think this is a brill idea!! i am a SALT (but work in a day nursery) and have always believed that using signs helps children's speech and language develop...i have recently introduced baby signing in our nursery. all the staff have been trained and we are starting to use the signs....its been about 5 weeks now and some of the babies are already signing back. would be great to see what you find

good luck

puj

I have no idea about it being viable but it is a fabulous topic to explore. I have trained in and used makaton for years and most parents have thought it a good idea. I would be interested in hearing your findings if you do it. good luck

killowengirl

Cool! What a fab idea. WE use Makaton all the time for all children and offer signing workshops for the community and families too. Let me know if I can be of help :o

Guest Wolfie

Every SALT that I have ever worked with has PLEADED with early years practiitoners to use signing every day with all children as part of their practice - I think it's an excellent topic to explore!

Wow - thanks everyone for all the positive replies. A real boost to know that you think its a good idea worth pursuing. Have got to put together a literature review over the next few weeks but it looks as though I at least have a starting point.

Thanks again

Hi

I don't know how long programmes stay on the teachers tv website, but quite a while ago now I watched a programme about a primary school where all staff use Makaton right the way through the school. It was a really interesting programme and would definately support your project, the programme probably refers to some research that you could use as well.

Elfy

X

Thanks for that Elfy

Have watched it and gained loads of info and pointers to various theorists as well!! Result!

Have also passed on link already as it discussed Cued articulation.

Howzat!!

• 3 years later...

Hi , I would be very interested in reading this project. I have been looking into introducing makaton into my setting but have some apprehensive staff that I would love to share some reearch with. Also where can I find this teachers tv program that was mentioned?

Thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)