Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Deputy Manager Role In Day Nursery

Hello all!

I have just got a job as a Deputy Manager of a private day nursery (0-5 years) and am starting my induction next week. I've got a fairly good knowledge of EYFS thanks to my PGCE (Early Years) I've just finished, but am very nervous about the huge role I'm about to undertake!

Is there anything I should read up on to help me prepare for the role of Deputy Manager? I've been making my way through the forums here as a starting point, but was wondering if anyone could help me as there are an awful lot of you with lots of experience who could pass on some pearls of wisdom.

Thanks in advance!

Rosey x

I'd say the fact that you have fairly good knowledge of the EYFS you have no need to panic.

The induction will enable you to have an insight into the settings 'unique' way of working, including it's ethos and aims. I'd use the first few weeks to get familiar with the routines, the hiearchy of your particular setting, who to turn to for what support, ie: who is the Child Protection Officer, the safety Officer, the SENCO etc.

And most important of all get to know the children and their parents.

This is the time for seeing where your particular strengths fit in with the excisting team and an awareness of how your strengths can further develop the settings practice.

Just like to add, build the relationship with the supervisor, see what she understands your role to be and impliment a good communication relationship with her/him. I'd say don't be afraid to ask, if we don't ask we don't know :o

Good luck, enjoy. xD

Peggy

Hi Rosey,

Congratulations on your new job! Being Deputy is a great position, sometimes it's the best of all worlds as the ultimate responsibility rests with your line manager, so you will have her back up for decisions taken. A good working relationship with her is key. At other times it feels as though you are trying to be everything to everybody and can't manage it!

I would suggest that you make sure your job description is clear and that you know exactly what is expected of you and, more importantly, what is not. As the months go by, it might be a good idea to keep checking this and request a review/clarification if any extra duties are given to you.

As you have already been advised, it is a good idea to become familiar with the routines, get to know the children and parents and your colleagues. This will keep you busy for a while!

Well done on your promotion and I look forward to hearing how it all goes.

Regards

Lesley

Thank you, Peggy and Lesley for your advice!

I have found out I'm starting induction next Monday, which I'm suddenly very excited about. Also a bit nervous as I had no idea what it will entail, but your words Peggy have really reassured me and given me an idea of what to expect, so thank you.

The next day (Tuesday) doing a shift so I can get to know the children a bit before the Christmas break (we start back on the 2nd). Really looking forward to getting back to getting messy and knowing the children as individuals.

I do know that I will be in charge of Pre-School, including being able to re-arrange the room/area as I see fit. I'm going to see how well the area works at the moment before I change it drastically, and also ask the other staff's opinions (and the children) what sort of things they would like to see in the Pre-School area. I couldn't help but think of a few ideas about that already, including setting up a more welcoming book area and possibly establishing clear areas for each area of EYFS, so possibly a Numeracy area, Exploration Zone, etc. What are your thoughts on this? Is it too restrictive and structured for Pre-School?

Lesley, I am planning on establishing my job description either on induction day (assuming my manager doesn't cover it) or within the first couple of days and getting a copy on paper. As it's my first big post of responsibility, I'm very wary of what I will/won't be doing, so having someone else say to establish what my job description is is very reassuring. :o

Very sound advice about asking questions, Peggy, I shall certainly take that on board and undoubtedly use it!

Rosey x

Edited by Rosey

including setting up a more welcoming book area and possibly establishing clear areas for each area of EYFS, so possibly a Numeracy area, Exploration Zone, etc. What are your thoughts on this? Is it too restrictive and structured for Pre-School?

I think having 'play zones' are fine, even if it's just for the sake of children knowing where to access (and put away) specific resources. However, as I am sure you already know, judging by your question, "is this too prescriptive?," zones don't need to be restrictive if the ethos is that the setting is a 'holistic' learning environment, where resources can be, and in fact are encouraged to be used in whatever capacity, and wherever the child chooses (obviously with regard to H&S). xD

I must admit reading your posts, I'm excited for you too. :o

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

Since I last posted, there's been a few changes and I thought I should keep you updated.

I didn't get to complete my induction on the Monday/Tuesday before Christmas as the Owner/Manager came down with a viral infection and was under doctors orders to stay home. So she said she'd ring on the 2nd Jan, when the nursery re-opened after Christmas to confirm I'd do my induction on the 5th January. All hunky-dorey, not a problem!

However, I just received a phonecall this morning from the Nursery Owner saying that due to a sudden decline of numbers in their Pre-School room, they cannot afford to pay another member of staff and are having to withdraw the vacancy.

So I have no job. I'm just really shocked and now on the job search for anything I can find. But everything happens for a reason, I'm sure there's the perfect job for me out there somewhere. :o

Rosey x

However, I just received a phonecall this morning from the Nursery Owner saying that due to a sudden decline of numbers in their Pre-School room, they cannot afford to pay another member of staff and are having to withdraw the vacancy.

So I have no job. I'm just really shocked and now on the job search for anything I can find. But everything happens for a reason, I'm sure there's the perfect job for me out there somewhere.

Gosh, what sad news...I hope everything works out okay for you

:o

omgoodness Rosey i just read your post what an absolutley gut wrenching thing to have happen to you and an awful start to the new year. I am so sorry I am just sitting here shaking my head in disbelief that they can do this.

keep looking and hopefully the perfect job will be just around the corner

Hi Rosey,

Just read your message. What an awful turn of events! :o I am so disappointed for you, especially as you sounded so elated and were getting all organised. However, it's probably better than having got started and then told to leave. Never mind, something else will turn up, when you least expect it and I look forward to reading about it very soon.

Thanks for keeping us all in touch.

Lesley

Just a thought ... if you have PGCE ... have you done EYPS? If you haven't there is funding / Graduate Leader fund (GLF) money for it and you may be able to "make yourself cheaper"(in the nicest possible way!!!) for your owner. If your owner genuinely wants you (and wasn't just making an excuse for a change of heart) I would be contacting my local Early Years authority and talking to them about GLF. You might find there's enough money to pay your salary for at least a term... you then could set about a major promotion campaign to get children in. Hope you sort this out ... Nurseries need enthusiastic people with ideas ... just like you!

Good Luck

Thank you all for such heart-felt replies, they've made this news much easier to take in. :o

purplewednesday1, I haven't done EYPS but was all for doing it! The owner of the nursery had looked into it and the provider they use were going to try to do an intake for EYPS in April, but if there wasn't enough demand I'd have to wait until the next definite intake in September. She sounded very definite in her decision that the vacancy just wasn't possible, but if numbers did pick up and I was still looking for a job in the future then she'd call upon me.

I think I may consider calling up the local Early Years authority and enquiring, but I'm just considering my options at the moment. I'm considering registering with a couple of supply teaching agencies, so that should tide me over until a more permament post comes up (where-ever that is!).

Rosey x

Ha ha, oh Cait, that's so sweet of you! The thought is much appreciated. :o

Staying positive as I do think it will work out better in the long run. If I'm truly lucky, I may be able to get a full time teaching post much sooner and start my NQT year (a leap from Deputy Manager, but it was always my intention at some point or another). Unfortunately, I can't do very much until schools go back on Monday/Tuesday, so it's just a preparation game at the moment. But I will keep you all posted!

Rosey x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)