Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

2 Year Old Funding

Buttercup

has anyone heard the latest from gordon brown. he wants to fund 2 year olds. he is making it sound like a new idea but in glos we are already doing this for children that are in need. i did not choose to do it in my setting as you had to provide a 2.5hr session.

if gordon brown does go ahead with this i do not know how i will fit them in. currently we are open for 3 afternoon sessions for 2hours each. most parents do one session some two. but we are full to the brim already so cannot give any more sessions. i would also be concerned about how much they will give us most are already out of pocket with 3/4 yr olds.

angela

My main worry is that it would mean a whole different set up.

We are a nursery attached to a school. half funded half private.....

We couldn't operate the way we do with 2 year olds with us........ and I don't think that is what I signed up to this job to do!

Alot of toys wouldn't be age appropriate. We wouldn't be able to have the doors open for free flow................

We don't have the space / extra room!!!!!!!!!!!!

But then again, those who do offer the service will have children who should have come to us!!!!!!!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Hi

It would give us more money. We already take that age and the amount we charge is less than NEG. The only change for us would be an increase to 2.5hrs from 2hrs but that is a minor problem for us as we are open 8-6. We wouldn't be able to offer them 5 sessions a week due to available space but I don't think we will be forced to do that. I can see where some settings will have problems but for us it would be good news.

We already take two years old and have had to increase our fees quite a bit this year because of the higher ratio of staff to children. We find it quite difficult at this time of the year settling in alot of two years olds and even though I have tried to stagger them it has still been wuite hard. We don't have enough places now and if two year old were too be funded alot of our parents would want more days for them.

smiles

that is my problem most of my two year olds only come for one 2hr session. I am sure if they were voucherable it would be for more.

yet again these great ideas come along but the impact on the providers is not thought out. alot of people are still having problems changing from 12.5hrs to 15hrs.

angela

We have had funding for 2 year olds for the last couple of years as our lea is on a pilot scheme. It is only for children whose parents are in reciept of benefits but that does include child tax credit if the family's taxable income is under £25,521 (where they got that figure from, I can't imagine). As we have to send proof of this, it is a bit of a nightmare and I am constantly chasing parents up about this. They all want the free place but don't want to bring in the paperwork. The children are entitled to 3 sessions a week under this scheme, many setttle for 2. It enables us as a group to survive as we have to keep our fees low and our rent is extremely high. I employed an extra member of staff when this scheme started so we would have more support with the younger children. Unfortunately the lea forgot to tell us that is was only a pilot until after I had increased my staffing so I hope that it does continue.

• 3 months later...

I just wondered if anybody had heard when the governement are bringing in funding for 2 yr olds, our session numbers are very low in our 2 yr old sessions as parents cannot afford to pay for them due to the recession... the parents are waiting till their child is funded before starting their child, our 2 yr old sessions used to bring in alot of money if the government made them funded we would be full again... maybe this is just wishful thinking....as at the moment i'm going to have to cut staff hours which i dont think will go down well as soooo many people have been made redundent around here and many of their husbands have lost their jobs..

I just wondered if anybody had heard when the governement are bringing in funding for 2 yr olds, our session numbers are very low in our 2 yr old sessions as parents cannot afford to pay for them due to the recession... the parents are waiting till their child is funded before starting their child, our 2 yr old sessions used to bring in alot of money if the government made them funded we would be full again... maybe this is just wishful thinking....as at the moment i'm going to have to cut staff hours which i dont think will go down well as soooo many people have been made redundent around here and many of their husbands have lost their jobs..

don't know for absolute sure but I thought I read somewhere that this wouldn't be happening in the near future unfortunately :o

I'm not entirely sure either but I imagine that it will be piloted in certain areas first. Maybe that's what Marion's Head has caught wind of..... There are a handful of authorities starting to pilot the extension to 3 and 4 year old funding for 25% most deprived children. What is certain is that these things take time and we are bound to get some info eventually but don't hold your breath!

I'l back up what LJW said as its pretty much what I have heard too. The pilots are taking place now (Bristol is one I believe, anyone from there like to make themselves known?), but it is only ever likely to be for around 15-20% most deprived children/families and isnt expected to become a universal offer, certainly not in the short term anyway.

So I woldnt go making any changes any time soon on this one.

We are on the pilot scheme - have been since the start. As far as I have heard it's a bit of a nightmare, for various reasons. Will clarify details and try to remember to get back.

Some time ago Mr B announced an extension of the scheme to universality, then announced it was being scrapped, so let's just wait and see what happens to this announcement???

Sue :o

• 7 months later...

Our setting has been invited to take part in this scheme. We find the details out today. Any pitfalls we should be aware of? We already provide full day care for 2 year olds, so the sessions aren't a problem.

Our Children's Centre is now part of the scheme At the moment it only applies to the 15% most disadvantaged areas

Extending the offer

£137m over the next two years will provide funding for 15% of the most disadvantaged two-year-olds and their families in every LA across the country.

The extended offer will provide:

* 10 or 15 hours of free, high-quality childcare a week*

* family support offering the parent access to a range of activities, such as structured play with their child, parenting classes and wider support such as signposting to other services and training

* effective partnership-working and outreach activity to engage families into childcare through a network of local delivery agents and direct outreach.

* The initial 63 pilots will continue to deliver a model of 15 hours a week of provision, over 38 weeks of the year, while the new 89 will deliver a ten-hour model. This will allow the Department to continue to test and evaluate differing models of delivery to inform wider roll-out.

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/everychildmatters/r...actice/IG00348/

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/everychildmatters/r...actice/IG00347/

Sharing_practice_6_Quality_Durham.doc

We've not been told anything here, so perhaps they are keeping the money for themselves at County Hall! xD:o

I'm pretty sure that would be illegal Cait!

I know that you've said before that you're in quite a disadvantaged area - but perhaps your setting don't fall into the 15% figure that Marion mentions in her post.

Maz

The pilot for early years funding for two year olds has been evaluated and their report is available here.

In its latest newsletter, the National Children's Bureau summarises it (in part) thus:-

Findings show that the pilot had a positive impact on children who attended a setting of reasonably high quality, but not on children who attended settings of lower quality. The results suggest that in order to have a positive impact on child outcomes, when the programme is rolled out nationally only settings with an Ofsted score of at least ‘good’ should be used by local authorities to provide free places for disadvantaged two year olds.

ECU Bulletin 2009(15). 13 August 2009

Maz

I have just been typing up a file note for future reference as it all seemed so complicated where I am. I have a child who would benefit from this so asked LA what info was needed to proceed.

This is it where I am:

In order to access funding for 2 year olds a child is determined to be disadvantaged as follows:

At National level

Parents in receipt of one or more of the following:

• Child tax credit at the higher rate

• Extra working tax credit relating to disability

• On Income Support

If one or more of the following criteria are met then the child must also satisfy one or more of the local level criteria which are:

The child is Black or Ethnic minority

The child is receiving SALT

The child has Emotional or Behavioural difficulties

The child has Developmental Delay

The child has a Disability

The child is in a family who are in temporary accommodation

The child is in a family where there is domestic violence

The child is in a family where there is substance abuse

The child is in a family where 3 or more children are under 5

A further local level condition is that 2 year old children in receipt of EEF must also access a Children’s Centre for support.

Family I have can tick the relevant boxes but balked at the last condition as they do not wish to access the Children's Centre - THIS IS WHY THEY CHOSE US!!!

They will not be going for the funding and would rather find the money from their own funds.

I have been asked whether I want to offer 2 year old places. I had understood from the person I spoke to that these children would be identified by the LA or Children's Centre and "sent" to me, but that we would have access to the Children's Centre for help and advice. The point seemed to be that the families could access care wherever they wanted to, because of convenience etc. and that the Children's Centre was their for support and some services.

Like Panders I have been asked whether we would take funded 2 year olds and quite probably the majority will be referred - in our area by Health Visitors - but sometimes - like in this case it is the setting that have become aware of a child who is "disadvantaged" and who would benefit from the scheme so I thought it would be best to bring myself up to speed on the "requirements".

Parents can still access funding under the child care part of the tax credit scheme if they are working too so this can help them to pay towards the cost of sending their child to school. In Essex they have started to pilot this in Basildon we will have to wait around 18 months before it will roll right out here though

we have been asked to take 2 year olds for 10 hours per week and i have offered one space. the child will be referred (probably by health visitors etc) and parents can choose where they send the child. they have to be in a family with no-one working and we are in a very deprived area (must be lowest 15% I guess). the funding rate is higher than EYFE for 3 and 4 year olds - i think its £4.70 ph rather than £3.70ph but then the ratio required is double. had to fill in an application form explaining we have someone who is a graduate leader, how we support SEN etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)