Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Highlighting The Development Matters Chart

Hi everyone , I am new to this forum and can't believe how fantastic it is to be actually able to share information.

I am too in the process of changing our planning to fit in with the new EYFS. Every time I think i'm there something else needs to be added.

In the past when using the stepping stones stepped, we used to highlight the chart when we had observed the child at an activity achieving the particular goal. We used to use activity grids and jot a child's name onto the sheet if they came to that particular activity and achieved the learning intention. It was loved by OFSTED three years ago but hated by the new EYFS standards. (and if i'm honest, i inherited this way of working and don't actually think it was the best way.) But as OFSTED loved it. it stayed till now..... Now the focus is very much geared to the individual child's learning, which is great but not as easy to plan for now as you all know. I am just wondering will you still be high lighting the new Development matters chart? I Plan to ensure we do regular obs on our key children and evidence with photos. Tally up the evidence from the obs and photos and then high light where I can. Our new system looks very much like some of the learning journey stuff I have seen you all attach.

I am no longer doing a medium term plan just a long term one with weekly plans. I have added an A3 chart to the wall for all staff to contribute to the next week and the parents if they wish.

Sorry I have rambled on .....

Guest Wolfie

A warm welcome from me too! :o It sounds to me as thought you've got it pretty well sorted, it's the approach that mane people are taking on here, everyone doing slightly different "tweaks" to tailor it to their individual setting. What sort of setting are you in?

As for using the Development Matters statements, it does say in the EYFS that they shoouldn't be used as a ticklist to record children's progress - but I get the feeling that lots of people will use them to monitor development and learning in the same way that the stepping stones were used. In the Resource Library, you'll find some sheets that Helen has devised that might help you with this and save you hours of work!

Anyway, plenty more people will be along shortly I'm sure, to add to my comments! Enjoy the forum! xD

Welcome to the forum, lmwhite - you ramble on as much as you like!

As Wolfie says, it sounds like you've got it pretty sorted to me. We're doing something fairly similar to you: each child has an observation tracker on which we enter the dates of obs which show evidence of children meeting the stepping stones. We find this works really well in highlighting which area of learning are being covered well by observations, and where more evidence is needed. We will be highlighting those stepping stones which have sufficient evidence to show when children have met these stepping stones: using red, blue and green highlighter pens in line with the Profile so hopefully this will help us complete that too!

Mind you: I do keep reminding everyone who will listen (and those who won't) that it is not designed to be a ticklist of what children can't do. However I can see where the temptation will come from... :o

Will have to suck it and see, I'm afraid - as with all changes I think you need to try things and keep and open mind before deciding whether it has worked!

Maz

Thanks all for your comments, I do have a couple more questions though

We have 24 children leaving our pre-school in December will I need to replace their stepping stone chart with a new Development matters? I was thinking of adding a new one to all of the other children but leave the ones which are only here till December.

And has anyone filled in the new self evaluation form form OFSTED yet? just about to start as we are due an inspection any time now.

Lisa

• 3 weeks later...

Hi am I being dense but I couldnt find the development matters stuff from Helen that Wolfie mentioned .can anyone help?! thanks.

Hi am I being dense but I couldnt find the development matters stuff from Helen that Wolfie mentioned .can anyone help?! thanks.

I'm not sure, but I think they may be in the resources library.

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)