Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Next Steps

spiceye

Hi Guys,

Great feedback & advice, have used a few ideas lately.

Any ideas on how you record 'next steps' for children & how you then put them into your planning? I recently had Ofsted & although we plan around observations & 2 keychildren the Ofsted Inspector said we should record 'next steps' from September.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Spiceye

:o

Hi,

If you have an evaluation box on your activity plan then either add it to the end of the evaluation, or put an extra box titled - Next Steps and show what the children will be ready for. This could be to repeat the skill involved with a different activity or taking the skill further. Hope that makes sense.

Regards

Core

I have attached a sheet that was given to me by a collegue at the begining of the year. I have found it extermely useful for prompting me when writing next steps or significant observations. I have typed it up and amde a couple of changes, but can't take credit for creating it myself...and unfortunatly I don't know who made it originally so I can't credit them. Hoever if they happen to read this i'd like to say a BIG thank you!

Hope it helps

Prompts_for_writing_next_steps.doc

Being very new to early years, I am confused by the recent Question and Answer in Nursery Education Plus ....

“Question: In the Early Years Foundation Stage guidance, the colour-coded Stepping Stones have disappeared. My manager says that when we do an observation we must put the next Stepping Stone for the child. Do we use Development matters now?

Expert Answer: It is great to hear that you are basing your planning on individual observational assessment and have lots of experience of using the Curriculum Guidance for the Foundation Stage document. However, the answer to your question is a definite ‘no’” ....

We too, have been encouraged to show the next stepping stones, many of the ofsted reports referring to the staff and parents need to know this (i.e having observed the child can use some number names accurately in play, we would have presumed the next stepping stone would be to “sometimes match number and quantity correctly” PSRN NLC. and plan accordingly)

If we do no use the Development Matters (ages and stages curriculum guidance) as the next stepping stone – the answer above says this is a definite NO – what do we use to plan towards?

Being very new to early years, I am confused by the recent Question and Answer in Nursery Education Plus ....

“Question: In the Early Years Foundation Stage guidance, the colour-coded Stepping Stones have disappeared. My manager says that when we do an observation we must put the next Stepping Stone for the child. Do we use Development matters now?

Expert Answer: It is great to hear that you are basing your planning on individual observational assessment and have lots of experience of using the Curriculum Guidance for the Foundation Stage document. However, the answer to your question is a definite ‘no’” ....

We too, have been encouraged to show the next stepping stones, many of the ofsted reports referring to the staff and parents need to know this (i.e having observed the child can use some number names accurately in play, we would have presumed the next stepping stone would be to “sometimes match number and quantity correctly” PSRN NLC. and plan accordingly)

If we do no use the Development Matters (ages and stages curriculum guidance) as the next stepping stone – the answer above says this is a definite NO – what do we use to plan towards?

I tend to put activities/expereinces as the next steps - I don't quote form CGFS or EYFS

-- for example I would simply put.. Next steps... to provide play experiences to develop xxxxx interest in numbers and give an example - these targets then depend on indvidual childs interests.... so could be counting out a making train track, setting up a tea party for teddies whatever interests the child...... that way we may be covering many development matters rather than to focus on just one in specific.

Hi saturnpa, welcome to the forum :oxD

I'd do what loubyloo suggests. The problem with stating the next step as written in the document is that children dont necessarily develop in line those steps, they might achieve one step then skip 2 and go back to them at a later date or ignore them altogether, or they might come into your setting on step 4 of PSE (for example, i really dont know what it is!) and then need to work on step 1.

Planning activities which will address lots of areas keeps it real for more children too.

Hi Guys,

Great feedback & advice, have used a few ideas lately.

Any ideas on how you record 'next steps' for children & how you then put them into your planning? I recently had Ofsted & although we plan around observations & 2 keychildren the Ofsted Inspector said we should record 'next steps' from September.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Spiceye

:o

We use the childrens assessment sheets to help push them onto their next steps ie where they are now what is the next statement down what activites will help the child achieve the next step we then record this on next step sheets and insert this into our planning under child led activities. We then work alongside the child for that activity record any significant achievments on the next sheet and in their assessment sheets. If they decided they didn't want to do the activity we would either adapt it to something they happen to be playing with at the time or say they child didn;t want to take part this time and then follow it up next time we are planning for that child. Under needs as id from last plan (on the sheet attached) we tend to put I will see if ... joins in at circle time, or I will look at ... mark making etc. under relevant and achieveable learning goals I tend to rather than put a specific outcome unbrella it under CLL mark making & handwriting or Creative making music Etc...

Hope that makes sense

Next_Steps_Planning.doc

• 5 years later...

it can also be additional activities and experiences to reinforce learning.

If you can get hold of Kathy Brodie's new book 'Observation, Assessment and Planning in the Early Years', there's an excellent chapter on deciding what the next steps should be. :1b

• Like 1

Hi,

I also find next steps a tad confusing I think it's because people use the term differently to mean different things. We had advise from our EYIO and she said next steps should not be something from scratch, i.e. if Fred is already experimenting with mark making and he enjoys junk modelling then Fred's next step could be... support and extend Fred's junk modelling experiences, encouraging him to write captions or his name on the things that he has made. We then suggest to the parents how they can get involved from home and their opinions.

I heard from a parent that a nursery she took her little boy to for 3yrs never once showed her his learning journey and never once had a parents evening / morning. That nursery got outstanding! How is it possible! The stat framework goes on and on about parents involvement!

it is :bananas: !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)