Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Book Corner

Hi everyone :)

I am starting a new role in a few weeks and popped into the nursery today (which was fab), one of the areas could do with a bit of a re-vamp and wondering what you had in your book corners in your setting... the area is used for storytime/book sharing, dressing up clothes and nap times. I think perhaps having some really nice large displays about a few of the favourite books the chidlren like which they can all participate in putting together, photos of the children sharing books etc..the area is at the back of the room which is quite a nice quiet area..there are a few cushions but was after any ideas of making the area more inviting and comfy- any suggestions would be gratefully receievd :)

our book corner was changed a while ago, it is used a lot more now, children love the cosy corner and as we have to put away every day it is easy for us to do this.

its enclosed but still lots of light. the wall nearby has pictures and posters with nursery rhymes or stories and children can move them and sequence them.

Our dressing up and role play is separate in a child's wardrobe.

Inge

We ahve just changed our book corner as we had lots of cushions and bean bags that the children used to bundle on or stack up and try to climb them and the books were never looked at unless adult led. We put a display up showing various things that we can read ie Takeaway menu,tv listings,tickets,receipts,newspapers,comics and a sheet of Braile . the children have all looked at this display and comment on . Also we purchased out of SBS catalogue a bright red childrens sofa and armchair. which we have now used to lay out our bookcorner like a lounge area and the children love it. they actually go into on their own and sit and read!!!!!!! what a difference .

Thank you for your replies, what a fantatsic idea for a display! ooh I will have to see if we have a budget for bits like that at the mo there is a few cushions but not all that comfy and we have quite a nice large space we can utilise.

would love to hear any other suggestions :)

Thanks xxxx

Inge I love your book corner- we had a canopy like that too; however, we have just been visited by the fire officer gulp! The new laws governing schools have changed; schools now come under the same scrutiny as factories and so the same rules apply. Unfortunately/fortunately we were one of the first schools in our area to be inspected under the new legislation and the officer jokingly said he wished he had a brought a video camera so he could record how it shouldn't be done and take it back to base to have a laugh with his colleagues!

Almost all our displays have to be taken down which is totally changing the look of our school :o Nothing hanging- not even paintings stapled to the wall to brighten them up'; we can't have display paper on our classroom doors to hide the ugly veneer underneath... the list goes on. It includes our canopied book areas and the parachute hanging over the builders roles play area is a big no, no.

Unless materials have been fire-proofed then nothing should used or be hanging at all.

We totally see where the law is coming from and after all, the law is the law- but be warned anyone making changes regarding the use of materials in particular, they need to be fire-proofed.

• 3 weeks later...

any suggestions would be gratefully receievd :)

Hiya

We have used our book corner as a role play area and it has encouraged the children to use it.

First we made a jungle, making vines, and trees, adding potted plants and hiding various animals in there. We also added a table clothand a basket containing various experdition items such as binoculars and magnifers.

Children really enjoyed using it. They would sit on the coushions or around the table cloth and read books together.

We have transformed it into a library now. We have added a rocking chair, posters, a man made computer made from boxes and various books including magazines, atlas, self made books etc.

The options are endless.

We always have flowing curtains hanging down and accross the ceiling, pillows and bean bags, blanketsand lots of words in the area

Hope it helps

Claire :o

I think a book corner/quiet corner should be a calming area - both auditory and visually - that means not a lot of stimuli on the walls - and lots of comfy floppy cushions! There should be an area where an adult can sit with a child each side, ie a sofa.

Sry, it's late and I'm probably not much help!!! :o

We currently have a reading garden. I used a shower curtain rail (which was easy to attach to the wall without drilling any holes) it is flexible so I was able to curve it and I have hung green shades of sheer fabric so it feels enclosed but the children are still visiable. We have cushions, baskets and shelves with books, pictures the children have drawn of Jaspers Beanstalk inside, vines, flowers and real plants as well as non fiction display and gardening words. The children have loved it and I intend changing it each term possibly a reading cave next term!

Sharon

Inge I love your book corner- we had a canopy like that too; however, we have just been visited by the fire officer gulp! The new laws governing schools have changed; schools now come under the same scrutiny as factories and so the same rules apply. Unfortunately/fortunately we were one of the first schools in our area to be inspected under the new legislation and the officer jokingly said he wished he had a brought a video camera so he could record how it shouldn't be done and take it back to base to have a laugh with his colleagues!

Almost all our displays have to be taken down which is totally changing the look of our school :o Nothing hanging- not even paintings stapled to the wall to brighten them up'; we can't have display paper on our classroom doors to hide the ugly veneer underneath... the list goes on. It includes our canopied book areas and the parachute hanging over the builders roles play area is a big no, no.

Unless materials have been fire-proofed then nothing should used or be hanging at all.

We totally see where the law is coming from and after all, the law is the law- but be warned anyone making changes regarding the use of materials in particular, they need to be fire-proofed.

Gosh apple, this is awful. I was just about to rehand our camoflage netting for our jungle reading corner, but from what you're saying I'd better not. Can't begin to imagine the consequences of this all round!!

Harricroft

• 10 months later...
We currently have a reading garden. I used a shower curtain rail (which was easy to attach to the wall without drilling any holes) it is flexible so I was able to curve it and I have hung green shades of sheer fabric so it feels enclosed but the children are still visiable. We have cushions, baskets and shelves with books, pictures the children have drawn of Jaspers Beanstalk inside, vines, flowers and real plants as well as non fiction display and gardening words. The children have loved it and I intend changing it each term possibly a reading cave next term!

Sharon

Hi,

Currently attempting to revamp our book corner. I'd like also to create a 'book garden'. You mention a shower curtain, a flexible one without a need to drill. I presume a suction ended rail. Pleas ecould you tell me where you bought it from?

Thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)