Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Planning

Im sorry, I know that this topic has been covered lots of times but for some reason when I was at work today, I suddenly felt unhappy with our planning and would appreciate some advice! We are a Nursery attached to a Primary School - two classes for 2.5 hrs a day. One teacher and one NNEB.

I do all of the planning alone - I currently plan for one focus a day (i.e. one adult led activity) and then set up each area with activities related to our topic. Today I felt like I was on a bit of a conveyor belt, trying my best to get all of the children to access my focussed activity without really spending quality time with them - which of course is what I should do! I suddenly thought ... what am I doing??

Would love some advice and wondered if any other Nursery teacher felt the same at times?

Should I reduce how many focussed activities I do each week?

Should I abandon focussed activities and just set up each area letting the chldren explore them as they want and I just observe?

Oh I don't know - does anyone have an example of their planning please? At the moment we don't document what we put out in each area every day - should we be doing this? At the moment we only write down the focussed activity resources and area.

So confused.... feeling like Im a bad teacher.

No concrete answers for you littlemissunshine except to reassure that you are not a bad teacher, more a reflective one and your children cant ask for better than that.

Would you have your school and head on board for the changes you are contemplating? If so why not give it a go and see how that feels.

Good luck with your decisions.

Hi Ya,

I am a Primary school teacher and now the Nursery Manager in our Nursery attached to our school. I can give you some copies of my planning if it helps although we are a large Nursery with 10 staff so there is lots more planned activities then you can obviously manage.

I'm still getting use to it myself.

P.S. Sure you are doing a great job :)

Edited by mandys818

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ya,

I am a Primary school teacher and now the Nursery Manager in our Nursery attached to our school. I can give you some copies of my planning if it helps although we are a large Nursery with 10 staff so there is lots more planned activities then you can obviously manage.

I'm still getting use to it myself.

P.S. Sure you are doing a great job :)

Hi

Would also be interested in looking at different types of planning, we are a 65 place nursery with 5 staff (all getting frustrated on how/what to plan)

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I too would be interested in seeing planning. i have just got a new job as an foundation stage leader at a lovely school. the head wants me to teach in nursery bu have not got a clue where to start. so used to reception! kel x

I would love to see your planning, as we are being taken over by the primary school we are attached to and I know they will want our planning altered.

Hi All

I run a pre-school out of a village hall with around 43 children over the week with 4-5 staff each day. Two weeks ago we ditched our ideas on a particular "theme", and we have changed completely how we plan. I am attempting to attach a copy of our blank planning form, but this is how it is working at the moment.

* each activity/area of learning everyday is planned for.

* we put out activities in accordance with our continuous provision and write this on the plan in black pen.

* we also put out activities from our observations the previous week, this is written in red pen to show that they provided by our observations. All staff have input and indicate activities as per their own key-worker observations.

* we are currently providing two focused activities a week which have within them 3 areas of learning, one focused activity outside, and one focused activity inside.

* each day they are evaluated, so we know where to take the chidren the next day either higher/lower and also indicates which children over the week were not choosing to join the focused activity.

* the planning over the week is changing all the time, and from the interest/learning we observe we change our activities to stimulate the children.

- this way of planning is so much more friendly for the staff, we are not all feeling down that we haven't got all the children over to take part ie, we are not interupting children's their learning in other areas - and I am not spending hours typing up a beautiful

plan which only has my in-put - now all staff can add/amend as per observations.

Anyhow, we are only two weeks in, and no way have we mastered it yet - would welcome any feedback - is this the format others of you are using ?

- This week was not good, we came into work on Monday to find vandals had trashed our outside area, toys broken et etc, so mindless - "oh for a lovely setting where we did not have to pack things away, get out again in the mornng and was safe". :(

anyway on a funny note - " a little boy said to me today, "come quickly, come quickly" He took me over to another member of staff whose top had rose slightly exposing a mole - "look, look, it must be a creature" - :oxD:(

blank_weekly_planning_sheet.doc

Hi

I have just discovered this forum and can't believe the wealth of information but the more I read, the more I realise I don't know enough. This is my first time teaching in a Nursery setting [attached to primary school] and there is little help available. Any help with planning will be really appreciated.

Guest Wolfie

Hi s4mmy - thank goodness you've found us then! Welcome to the forum, you'll definitely get plenty of help here! :o

Hi dot

Can i just ask at the top f your sheet you have the six areas, have you preschosen these to fit in with your activities for the childrens interests , or have you prechosen in advance which ones you are going to cover each month?

is this the only planning format you use?

sharon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - just realised I did not reply.

The planning sheet I attached ix our current plan which is enlarged onto A3, so all the team can amend/add to on a daily basis. In respect of the areas of learning on the top - these were as per the old eyfs and ss/development matters for specific children for "their next step" - anyway since this post all is going wrong - we are all planning well for children's interests and have loads of really well behaved happy children, but our focused activities lead a lot to be desired. :oxD

Dot

• 3 weeks later...

hi there I work in a nursery 0-5 years and we use the same planning sheet for everyroom and just change the areas ie. craft, outside play, role play etc to fit each age group. The planning is based around the children's learning and their observations for the week. We have been using our planning for 4 months now and feel it works well in every room, it is long but once you get used to filling it in each day and you all do it not just one its quite easy.

please take a look and give feed back and suggestions

thankyou

planning_sheet_wise_owls_2.doc

Guest Wolfie

Hi Claire - thank you for making a very interesting first post and welcome to the forum! :o

Guest bobby
hi there I work in a nursery 0-5 years and we use the same planning sheet for everyroom and just change the areas ie. craft, outside play, role play etc to fit each age group. The planning is based around the children's learning and their observations for the week. We have been using our planning for 4 months now and feel it works well in every room, it is long but once you get used to filling it in each day and you all do it not just one its quite easy.

thankyou

Hi Claire, also really liked yourplanning sheet - very clear and helpful.. However, the first sheet has 2 boxes on blurring the titles and adding days of week - is this just me???

Thanks again

Guest bobby

thankyou

Hi Claire, also really liked yourplanning sheet - very clear and helpful.. However, the first sheet has 2 boxes on blurring the titles and adding days of week - is this just me???

Thanks again

Guest Stalbans

thankyou

Thank you for your planning sheets, have just started as preschool supervisor attached to a school and am rying to settle into a very busy term. These planning sheets look very informative and am thinking of introducing them. thanks

Hi Claire - thanks for attaching your planning sheets they are really good - have you a sample of your focused planning sheet, I have recently created a new version, but staff are finding it a bit too "messy" - What is great about EYFS is that we are all spending so much more time evaluating than we were before :o - and welcome to the forum from me Dot

hi dot

that is all i have cause the focused activities are in the weekly planning if you want i could send you an example of how it is all filled in aswell

hi all

if you are finding it hard to read the writting you may have to change the font as its in sassoon infont and not all computures that that font so it might come out blurred

I too really like the planning, with a few modifications for our different setting and I think it could work really well from Sept.

Many thanks.

hi dot

that is all i have cause the focused activities are in the weekly planning if you want i could send you an example of how it is all filled in aswell

If it is not to cheeky, I too would like to see the sheets filled in!! :o

hi all

thankyou for your replys to my planning i'm glad you all like it.

i have attached a copy of a filled in planning sheet cause i know a few ppl have asked for one. please take a look and ask any questions you may have

just to make you aware some of the boxes on the planned activites page are not filled in this is so you can add things in as the week goes on if you use 2 sepereate colours or type and hand write this will show the difference between the two.

Thanks for sharing. xD I was on the right track with what I thought would go in the boxes. I have adapted it slightly to fit our setting and we are now trialing the format. :o It is working really well!! Our EYA is in next week and we will have had time to use the format and evaluate it!!

Thanks again it is a brilliant format and has saved me a lot of time not having to start from scratch!!

Hi thanks for the planning download - very informative Claire :o - now been in our EYFS planning and that was really good, hope to have my draft planning sheets done over the weekend & will attach.

Dot xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)