Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ring Games

Hi Everyone

I am looking for ideas for ring games. Have several tried and tested ones which we use over and over again and wondered if anyone had any they were willing to share to add to my list. Many in books are aimed at older children and just don`t work with two to four year olds`s.

Here are my tried and trusted favourites:Honey Bear, farmers in his den, ring a roses, there was a princess long ago, I went to school one morning and I walked like this.

Any ideas gratefully received.

duck duck goose...where chn sit in circle and one child goes around the outside of the circle touching everyone (lightly!) on the head saying duck .....until they choose to change it to goose then that person chases the 'gooser' back around the circle to where thay were sitting.

This can be adapted to incorporate different ways of travelling ie skip around the circle etc. Duck and goose can also be substituted for other animals, I ask the children to use the grown up and baby animal names ie dog, dog ....puppy! can be interesting who gets the concept and who sticks to the safe option of duck and goose!

hope this makes sense!!!

duck duck goose...where chn sit in circle and one child goes around the outside of the circle touching everyone (lightly!) on the head saying duck .....until they choose to change it to goose then that person chases the 'gooser' back around the circle to where thay were sitting.

This can be adapted to incorporate different ways of travelling ie skip around the circle etc. Duck and goose can also be substituted for other animals, I ask the children to use the grown up and baby animal names ie dog, dog ....puppy! can be interesting who gets the concept and who sticks to the safe option of duck and goose!

hope this makes sense!!!

Here we go round the mulberry bush!!

Hi Sally

We uae Old Macdonald as a ring game and vary the theme-farm, zoo, jungle, forest etc. It works well with Letters and sounds encouraging the children to distinguish sounds.

Sue

To the tune for "If you're happy and you know it":

We are walking in a circle you and me

We are walking in a circle you and me

We are walking in a circle, walking in a circle

Walking in a circle you and me.

The children can then suggest other things to do, eg. clapping, jumping, marching etc.

Also hokey kokey, Louby Loo and The Big Ship.

Anita

In and out the sparkling bluebells. Something a bit little duck, duck goose - Fruit Salad where all children are given the name of a fruit - can be more than one child with same name - you then tell a story about going to the shop to buy some fruit. When the name of their fruit is called they have to get up and run round the circle, then back to their place. If you say Fruit Salad all children have to swop places. Some others that aren't quite circle games but may be suitable for older children- The Big Ship sails down the alley alley oh, London Bridge is falling down.

Harricroft

How about 'The Sandy Boy/girl'. Children sit in a circle with 1 child in the middle who is the Sandy Boy/Girl sing

.....is the sandy boy sitting on a stone, crying, weeping because he's all alone

Stand up sandy boy dry your tears away, choose the one you love the best to dance the night away

child chooses another child and the dance in the circle while the other children la la and clap the tune over again. Then the child who was chosen is the sandy boy/girl. The children love this.

Edited by stedeford

we play a game called 'what can you do punchanella(?) little fella'

You all stand in a circle and one child is picked to stand in the middle....as you stand there singing

'what can you do punchanella little fella, what can you do punchanella little one?'

The child in the middle acts out a move.....star jump, skipping, hopping etc and then the outer circle then sings.....

'We can do it to punchanella little fella, we can do it to punchanella little one' copying the movement.

Another child is then chosen to repeat all the above....this can go on as long as you want it to...it's quite funny watching some members of staff doing some of the actions....ballet dancing!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your ideas. They are all great and I am looking forward to using them. I am going to write them all down and add them to my list.

:o

If anyone else has anymore ideas keep them coming, all contributions gratefully received. I still can`t quite get over what a great forum this is. For years I have struggled along in the world of childcare with little help, advise or support. It`s great to have a place where we can all come to to support and help each other.

I can share these with you, they have lovely tunes but are not known ones - sorry!

I was walking in the country going to the fair, when I saw (name) with feathers in his/her hair

And he/she went .... shimmy shimmy shimmy, shimmy all day long

Turn around, touch the ground and back to the start of the song!

And..

Down by the river where the green grass grows

There sits (...name..) washing her clothes

She sings, she sings, she sings so sweet

And calls to her playmates across the street.

(..name..) (..name..) won't you come to tea

Come next Saturday at half past three

With tea cakes and pancakes and lovely things to eat

Won't we have a lovely time at half past three

La la la la la la etc ( while the two children dance)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)