Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Display Ideas

Please help.

RECEPTION

AT THE END OF TERM I HAD THIS GREAT IDEA TO RIP DOWN EVERY SINGLE DISPLAY AND BACKING PAPER!!!!! AS I HAD HAD ENOUGH OF THEM. I WAS JUST BACK OFF MATERINTY LEAVE AND FANCIED A CHANGE!!!!!! AS I WAS EXCITED ABOUT GETTING MY OWN CLASS AND ROOM BACK.HOWEVER, WHEN THE HOLIDAY CAME MY ENTHUSIASUM DWINDLED AND HAVE NOT BEEN INTO SCHOOL ONCE!!!!

I WOULD LOVE TO PUT UP SOME NEW AND EXCITING DISPLAYS. ANYIDEAS TO GET ME STARTED I HAVE 7 BIG BOARDS (SO,E WILL BE PERMINANT LIKE TH ONE ABOVE THE CUPBOARD) ADN I WOULD LIKE A NOCW INTERESTING SOUND DISPLAY

THANKS EVERYONE X

we have a sound display that has the sounds in the correct order on to brick shapes that are then laminated and put on a large board to create a wall effect.

we then have a butterfly shape for each child with their name on.

All the children names are on the border underneath and as they learn their sounds they move up the board. On the side of the sound wall we have large cut out flowers and when the children know all their sounds they then go on a flower.

This allows the sound wall to be a observation tool as well because you can see who is struggling with their sounds and offer extra help. We did this for the first time last year and the kids loved it, they were coming up all times of the day and saying can I do my sounds.

We have started a word wall as well with the words on five rows.The children have their names on humpty dumptys.The word building key words on the first three levels and the tricky words on the last two, this allows the children to move up the wall quickly and build their confidence. when the children know all their words they sit on the top of the wall, then when they can spell the reception key words they get a crown for their humpty.

When we were ofsteded( is this a word) they liked the idea. :o

I am back in work on tuesday and will take some photos and post them if this helps.

The photos would be helpful. I think I've become brain dead over the holiday as I'm unable to imagine both the sound and word walls.

Hi Teacherinpink,

I love doing displays, i have displays showing mathematical learning, using numbers and shapes, children have made 'shape people'. Another display i did was about 'just add water' i took photos of the children making, play dough, gloop, jelly and bubble bath, before and after adding the water and made a lovely display for the parents to see. We also linked this into discussing recycling water etc.

Healthy eating display is a good one to do, i made a display and gave it the title of, Five a day, five a day thats ............................. (room or class name) way.

I For next term one of my displays will be a sort of assessment display. After backing the display board with white or yellow back ground, i will get the children to draw a picture of themselves onto either A4 or A5 size brightly coloured paper, using a blackmarker. I will then back their picture onto black paper with their first name added to the bottom left corner of the picture. This will be put onto the display board. Every 6 to 8 weeks the children will draw another picture of themselves. This will be put ontop of the previous picture. In the middle of the board i will be putting a chart to show the different stages a child goes through in learning to draw a person, this shows parents and myself the progress the child is making. The display is titled, 'Look at me'. I will try to add a picture to show you. This display is kept for the full year the children are in the class. It is a great way to show development in a visual way.

Here are a few links to display web sites;

www.read180.00freehost.com/displays.htm

www.sparklebox.co.uk

click on photos gallery for sparklebox

I For next term one of my displays will be a sort of assessment display. After backing the display board with white or yellow back ground, i will get the children to draw a picture of themselves onto either A4 or A5 size brightly coloured paper, using a blackmarker. I will then back their picture onto black paper with their first name added to the bottom left corner of the picture. This will be put onto the display board. Every 6 to 8 weeks the children will draw another picture of themselves. This will be put ontop of the previous picture. In the middle of the board i will be putting a chart to show the different stages a child goes through in learning to draw a person, this shows parents and myself the progress the child is making. The display is titled, 'Look at me'. I will try to add a picture to show you. This display is kept for the full year the children are in the class. It is a great way to show development in a visual way.

This is pure genius, Rosepetal! What a fantastic way to celebrate children's achievements whilst educating parents at the same time. This sort of display really highlights the fact that children learn and develop at different rates - and help children to review their own development too!

I'd love to have a display like this that I could have up all year and watch it develop and grow with the children. Unfortunately our displays take such a battering being movd in an out of the cupboard that they rarely last a term.

But I'm thinking of an 'Look at me!' book that these pictures could go in so that they could provide a similar record.

Thank you so much for this inspiration - am really looking forward to going back to nursery!!!

Maz

wow...if only we had a permenant building!!!!!!! brilliant Rosepetal :o

Conjures up all sorts of images of non-permanent buildings. Meet Hali - proprietor of The Brigadoon nursery...

Maz

Hi,

Thanks for the praise, but i have to be honest and say, i took the idea from another nursery i attended on a course. The head mistress of the nursery school said she was more than happy for us to use any of the lovely ideas they had. I am still trying to locate the picture which i saved onto my computer to put it here. As sometimes it is hard to imagine something from words. I know i need visual prompts alot of the time as i am a visual learner, sometimes i have to read and reread something before i get the image of what something should look like. :o

Rosepetal

hi, Me again,

I am trying to add a picture of the 'Look at me' display.

Hope this works, not sure if i am breaking copy right law, if i am Steve, please delete this message and let me know, so i don't make the same mistake again. :o

Rosepetal

post-2202-1187804884_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for your sharing your great ideas.

Would anyone be interested in, if possible, setting up a section where by we add photographs of the displays in our rooms? i do love a visual image to work from

thanks Natasha

hi, Me again,

I am trying to add a picture of the 'Look at me' display.

Hope this works, not sure if i am breaking copy right law, if i am Steve, please delete this message and let me know, so i don't make the same mistake again. :o

Rosepetal

Lovely picture Rosepetal - very clear and bright. It looks very high up though - are the children able to flick through to see their old pictures?

Maz

Thanks everyone for your sharing your great ideas.

Would anyone be interested in, if possible, setting up a section where by we add photographs of the displays in our rooms? i do love a visual image to work from

thanks Natasha

Hi Natasha,

Have a look in the gallery, which you can locate on the blue bar , top of screen, left hand side in between 'live cha't and 'blogs', or follow this link.

GALLERY

Peggy

We got some bits & bobs ready when we had our new children with us for 2 days.

Love the self portrait idea that you keep adding to.

We've made a big fish to go outside our classroom as a welcome using their handprints as the scales & have lots of photos to put up of them working together around the classroom.

Somewhere to look for bits you can print straight off & whack up as a temporary measure is:

www.instantdisplay.co.uk

A lot of the stuff in the early years section isn't actually appropriate but there might be a few handy bits there.

xx

we do a very similar thing to the drawing idea in our nursery, as well as the children drawing a picture of themself, they also 'write' their name. We do this for Autumn, Winter and Summer term and have it on display so that everyone can see the progress. This is repeated in Reception. Like Rosepetal says its a great way to see their achievements and has the added bonus of being a display that you can add to over the year and not have to change too much :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mary, im new to the forum and i am picking up so many ideas from teachers, thank you.

Just a quickie- where do you get your reception key words from? we used to use Ginn but it has all changed now and the futures a bit wishy washy at the mo with LOTS of changes in our curriculum and planning. any advice would be gratefully received.

Bethany :o

• 2 weeks later...

[Thanks Rosepetal,

I used your display idea of 'Look at me' for our new reception intake and it looks fabulous. The children enjoyed it and love looking at it and I cannot wait to repeat every 8 weeks or so.

Many thanks.

Guest whizzbang

Hi there, have created my display using Rosepetals idea - looks fab!! I was just wondering where and if you put up an explanation of the different stages of drawing development - i just thought it might be a nice idea as we are inviting parents in for afternoon tea in 2 weeks and it would save me explaining things over and over!

I have googled this and can only come up with very generic explanations of drawing but not of people!

Thanks

M x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)